OU Physicians is Oklahoma’s largest physician group and encompasses almost every adult and child specialty.
This position is located in OU Physicians' Prenatal Diagnostic Clinic.
Coordinates schedules of patients in an outpatient clinic and provides
clerical assistance toward the smooth operation of the facility.
Check In/Check Out
- Greets patients as they come into the clinic for scheduled appointments.
- Accepts payments and writes receipts.
- Totals encounter forms and inspects the form for completeness and accuracy.
- Codes procedures and diagnoses.
- Ensures the resident and faculty signatures are on the encounter form and chart.
- Copies insurance cards and distributes to the appropriate people.
- Prepares encounter forms and billing packets for patients to be seen.
- May prepare and type daily deposits.
- Balances and closes cash box daily.
- Prepares ancillary forms for other services (i.e. x-rays, vascular studies, etc.).
- Prints and faxes physician schedules to offices.
- Schedules patient appointments, either by telephone or in person.
- Provides information about clinic operations.
- Obtains patient demographics on new patients and updates demographics on established patients.
- Answers telephone calls and distributes to the appropriate people.
- Prepares and enters healthcare providers’ schedules into the computer.
- Coordinates schedules as directed to patient requiring multiple services.
Filing and Organization
- Pulls patient charts for appointments or to file lab, x-ray, hospital information or other information into the chart.
- Copies medical records for patients and other providers or facilities.
- Files patient charts.
- Prepares inactive patient charts for storage. Maintains log of charts in storage.
- Secures charts that have been sent to storage that are needed in the clinic.
- Replaces torn charts with new covers.
- Makes up new patient charts and/or packets of information.
- Prepares new patient inserts for charts.
- Requests medical records from other facilities.
Referrals and Authorizations
- Talks to patients about financial accounts.
- Verifies insurance eligibility and primary care physicians for patients.
- Secures referrals to other providers for HMO patients.
- Secures referrals from PCP's for HMO patients to be seen in the clinic.
- Collects and verifies proof of income in order to determine what sliding scale discount is appropriate, if any.
- Dispenses supplies as needed.
- Notifies appropriate person when supplies are low and need to be reordered.
- Types notes and letters for physicians as needed.
- Makes immunization cards as needed.
- Logs mail receipts according to University policy.
- Sorts and distributes mail.
- Communicates with patients of all ages in a professional manner at all times.
- Communicates with co-workers and employees in a manner which promotes a highly “team oriented” approach.
- Enhances professional growth and development through in-service meetings and education programs.
- Maintains patient confidentiality.
- Performs related work as required.
Education: High School diploma or GED Experience: 12 months experience in a customer service role
- Computer skills
- Typing/data entry skills
- Excellent oral & written communication skills
- Medical receptionist, clinical clerical or patient care
- Knowledge of IDX