Posted in Other 30+ days ago.
Type: Full Time
Lab Manager (9612C) - #7839
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world s leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: June 9, 2020
The Environmental Systems Dynamics Laboratory seeks a laboratory manager to facilitate the group s experimental and field approaches to understand the role of coastal vegetation communities on sedimentation. More information about the Environmental Systems Dynamics Laboratory is available at www.esdlberkeley.com.
* Performing or facilitating sample analysis experiments in the laboratory, following field visits.
* Analyzing data from experiments and perform visualizations and written material for dissemination.
* Prepare sediment tracers, design and construct mounts for instruments or other physical infrastructure for experimentation, place orders for supplies, ship equipment to and from the field, and plan sampling logistics.
* Circulate research, data, and code; including facilitating the code s accessibility on Github or Gitlab, improving the readability of code, and preparing datasets for publication.
* Disseminate the lab s research by improving and maintaining the ESDL web site.
* Perform sampling and running instrumentation for laboratory and field flume experiments.
* Train undergraduate students in the use of laboratory equipment.
* Managing general laboratory maintenance and performing monthly safety checks.
* Experience coding and with principles and practices of open science, including Git.
* Experience running and performing routine maintenance on dissolved organic carbon analyzers and fluorescence spectrometers.
* Experience with spreadsheet software.
* Experience working with laboratory flumes.
* Experience with suspended sediment sampling.
* Strong performance in quantitative coursework.
* Excellent oral and written communication skills.
* Interpersonal skills to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with a multi-diverse campus community.
* Bachelor s degree in a relevant physical or environmental science or engineering and/or equivalent experience/training.
* Master's degree in a relevant physical or environmental science or engineering and/or equivalent experience/training.
Salary & Benefits
This is an exempt, monthly paid position. Annual salary is commensurate with experience within the range of $51,467.44 - $67,910.79. Steps 1.0 - 15.0.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This position is governed by the terms and conditions in the agreement for the Research Support Professionals Unit (RX) between the University of California and the University Professional and Technical Employees (UPTE). The current bargaining agreement manual can be found at: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/labor/bargaining-units/rx/index.html
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: