Location: Bellevue, Washington, United States, 98004 Req ID: 288
Discovery hires the very best and brightest talent who are enthusiastic and passionate to fulfill the company's mission of empowering people to explore their world and satisfy their curiosity.
In exchange for their talent and drive, employees are provided with an engaging, diverse workplace and the resources they need to learn, thrive and grow in their careers.
Discovery, Inc. is the global leader in real life entertainment. We serve passionate fans with content that inspires, informs, and entertains, providing leadership across deeply loved and trusted brands, such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, HGTV, Food Network, and Travel Channel. Available in 220 countries and territories and 50 languages, Discovery reaches viewers on all screens and services, from free-to-air and pay-TV channels, to digital products and streaming services, to social and mobile-first content and formats. Discovery delivers over 8,000 hours of original programming each year.
Discovery's Digital group is a well-funded start-up within Discovery Inc. We are fast, nimble, and have fun developing new, innovative, and immersive digital products and content for iconic brands. We are working at the crossroads of technology, entertainment, and everyday utility. As content creators across the digital ecosystem, we continuously leverage our technology to create immersive viewing and interactive experiences. We tell engaging stories to millions of viewers across the Internet every day and bring new interactive experiences to life to not only entertain but improve the lives of our customers.
Discovery is looking for an expert and customer obsessed Principal Product Manager for the Digital and Direct-to-Consumer business for Magnolia, a joint venture partnership between Discovery, Inc. and a Chip and Jo Gaines. In this role you'll shape strategy and drive the execution and successful delivery of digital and Direct to Consumer Products, including websites and applications across popular platforms, such as Apple, Android, Amazon, Roku, and others. As the Principal Product Manager, you will combine the inspiration of the Magnolia brand with a data-driven approach to discover, develop and ship products that delight customers and increase engagement. You will help create products that solve practical problems for customers, while inspiring them and improving their everyday lives. You'll connect regularly with customers to become expert on Magnolia customers. You'll be a role model for product management competencies as part of a dedicated, cross-functional Agile team by communicating vision, authoring user stories, prioritizing the backlog, and coordinating regularly and clearly with partners and stakeholders. An ideal candidate will be excited about the Magnolia brand and what Chip and Jo Gaines's vision can deliver for customers. They will have a successful track record of owning and driving a complex product portfolio, have proven leadership experience in managing large customer- facing projects and bring relevant insights in technology. They will be a creative problem-solver and sought-out decision maker with insatiable curiosity. They build trust with people from all areas of the business and have a proven track record of delivering products that customers love. They will have proven expertise taking end-to-end product ownership and consistently deliver results in a fast-paced environment.
1. Exhibit deep understanding of the customer and serve as a role model for customer empathy.
2. Develop product and business strategy based on customer needs and translate into prioritized feature roadmaps.
3. Set product priorities, manage tradeoffs and build shared understanding.
4. Own product development from start to finish, including shipping products and driving alignment around a vision and priorities.
5. Drive ship cadence and ensure high quality, defect-free products are launched. Inspire and encourage teams to push for a higher quality bar across the broader direct-to-consumer organization.
6. Create and improve team and organizational processes and mechanisms to ensure product meets customer needs.
7. Create and use data to validate the impact of your products and demonstrate that you can achieve high-impact product and business goals.
8. Make critical decisions, unify different views and align teams around a common vision.
9. Exemplary written and verbal communication skills. Your business documents, use cases, user stories and project reports are set the bar for product managers in your organization.
10. Highly respected and effective partner for engineering, design and other relevant teams. They trust your work and view you as an ally and advocate on their behalf.
11. Share learnings across teams and ensure quality cross-platform experience.
* Bachelor's degree in business, engineering or relevant field
* 5+ years' work experience in product management job function in technology, ecommerce, media, or relevant industries
* Experience working with a cross-functional team across engineering, design, business, and marketing
* Experience leading feature development from start to finish, including shipping customer-facing features and driving alignment around a vision and priorities
* Excellent verbal and written communications skills
*Must have the legal right to work in the United States
* Deep empathy for customers and other humans
* Excellent track record of product management and shaping business strategy for customer facing features and products
* Experience navigating through ambiguous problems, especially where the product strategy, roadmap and technology approach may not be defined
* Experience removing roadblocks, making tradeoffs, managing risk and shipping high quality features on time
* Experience utilizing the competencies of engineering, design, and business teams
* Strong analytical skills and good at using data and metrics to inform priorities, solve problems and develop business cases
* High attention to detail and demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities and projects simultaneously
* Comfortable working in a fast-changing environment where continuous innovation is desired
* Proven track record of taking ownership, doing what's necessary and driving results
* Master's degree in business, technical or related field
Discovery Communications, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Discovery is committed to being an employer of choice, not just a good place to work, but a great and inclusive place to work. To that end, we strive to recruit and maintain a workforce that meaningfully represents the diverse and culturally rich communities that we serve. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disabled status or, genetic information.
We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including but not limited to all local Fair Chance Ordinances.