Posted in Other 30+ days ago.
Type: Full Time
Are you an expert in the design of electrical systems?
If so, you could be a fit our position!
The Space Science Electronics group at APL builds instruments and electronics systems for space flight that produce data for scientific research. We re a group of about 40 engineers with expertise that span across all aspects of instrument production including systems engineering, electronics design, FPGA design, and software design. We work very closely with other groups of engineers and scientists who contribute all other expertise required for the instrument production.
Some examples of our work includes: the PEPSSI and LORRI instruments on the New Horizons Spacecraft, most of the instrument suite on the MESSENGER Spacecraft, the CRISM instrument on the MRO Spacecraft, and dozens more. We are currently working on instruments for the JUICE, Europa, Psyche, and Lucy Missions. We are seeking talented individuals to contribute to the design and production of space flight instrumentation.
In this role, your primary responsibility will be to lead teams of engineers to perform specification, design, analysis, fabrication and qualification of instrument electronics systems for space flight in support of scientific research.
In addition, you will... * Organize the efforts of a cross disciplinary team including engineers with backgrounds that include electronics, FPGA, software, mechanical packaging, thermal, testbeds, EEE parts, EMI/EMC, and radiation.
* Contribute to the design of electrical system by taking direct responsibility for a circuit board in the system.Then execute the analysis, design, fabrication, test, integration, and documentation for this product.
* Work with scientists and engineers from the instrument and spacecraft teams to design and document the architecture, requirements, interfaces, integration, qualification, and verification for instrument electronics systems.
* Perform technical mentoring, progress tracking and reporting, and host design reviews.
* Support instrument and spacecraft level design reviews, integration, and testing.
You meet our minimum qualifications, if you have... * A M.S. in science, engineering, or closely related field.
* 15 years of electronics design engineering experience.
* Working knowledge of electronics, sensors, FPGAs, software, mechanical packaging, thermal, testbeds, materials, EEE parts, EMI/EMC, and radiation.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum qualifications if you have... * Leadership and organizational capabilities.
* Relevant space flight hardware experience.
* Instrument electronics design experience.
* Good verbal and written communication skills.
* Capable of working independently and mentoring early career engineers.