Posted in Other 9 days ago.
Type: Full Time
WHO ARE WE*
K12 Produces Results
Get To Know Tennessee Virtual Academy (TNVA) !
Tennessee Virtual Academy
Behind The Scenes
A Day In The Life
K12 believes in Education for Any One. We provide families an online option for a high-quality, personalized education experience. Students can thrive, find their passion, and learn in an environment that encourages discovery at their own pace. In support of this, we are committed to creating and maintaining a culture of inclusion and diversity where our employees are passionate about serving students and families, treat one another and customers with respect, challenge each other to innovate and always strive to do better.
Passionate Educators are needed at the K12 partner school, Tennessee Virtual Academy. We want you to be a part of our talented team!
The mission of Tennessee Virtual Academy is to provide an exemplary individualized and engaging educational experience for students by incorporating school and community/family partnerships coupled with a rigorous curriculum along with a data-driven and student-centered instructional model. Student success will be measured by valid and reliable assessment data, parent and student satisfaction, and continued institutional growth within the academic community. Join us!.
The Student Attendance Specialist ensures that school age children are attending school regularly by investigating causes of unexcused or excessive absences, communicating with families and assisting them in problem-solving, issuing attendance-based warnings, and helping to represent the school if cases go to court.
Essential Functions: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
* Coordinates school-wide attendance efforts and absenteeism prevention programming with a two-fold focus 1) educating families on the importance of attendance with a focus on prevention and 2) intervening to fix the underlying issues that lead to absenteeism;
* Works with teachers to monitor student adherence to the school's attendance policies;
* Emails, calls and sends auto-dial notices to targeted student population;
* Recommends families to the appropriate administrator for truancy intervention meetings as necessary;
* Attends truancy meetings with school administrators;
* Ensures state compliancy guidelines are met for student attendance, progress and system logins;
* Ensures school policy and state requirements are met regarding all attendance withdrawals;
* Produces attendance/truancy reports for the school, county and state, as required;
* Works with the Student Support Team to assist students in situations where referral to service agencies are necessary;
* Works with families and teachers to develop individualized action plans to increase student attendance and engagement;
* Works with the Student Support Administrator, Head of School and local school board to develop improved procedures that address attendance;
* Works with families and student support staff to prevent juvenile delinquency;
* Develops and implements educational workshops related to absenteeism for school staff and families;
* Assists staff on projects regarding student attendance/truancy.
Supervisory Responsibilities: This position has no formal supervisory responsibilities.
Minimum Required Qualifications:
* High School Diploma or General Equivalency Degree (GED) Certificate AND
* Two (2) years of truancy experience OR
* Equivalent combination of education and experience.
Certificates and Licenses: None required.
Other Required Qualifications:
* Knowledge of state school attendance laws, and other pertinent laws regarding K-12 education;
* Knowledge of state specific court procedures regarding truancy;
* Familiarity with online learning environment;
* Strong organizational and time management skills;
* Strong written and verbal communication skills;
* Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.);
* Ability to travel 25% of the time;
* Ability to pass required background check.
* Three (3) years of experience working with families in similar capacity, enrollment or truancy
* Post-secondary degree especially in Education, Counseling, Human Services or related field of study.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* This is a home-based position but may require one or more days a week in the office as determined by the supervisor.
The above job is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor. All employment is "at-will" as governed by the law of the state where the employee works. It is further understood that the "at-will" nature of employment is one aspect of employment that cannot be changed except in writing and signed by an authorized officer.
K12 is a Federal Contractor, an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and a Drug-Free Workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected Veteran status age, or genetics, or any other characteristic protected by law.