Posted in Other 11 days ago.
Type: Full Time
Technical Lab Assistant - Microbiology
FT- HOURS: Saturday - Wednesday - 9:00am - 5:30pm (can be flexible with start times)
* Performs computer functions, including receiving specimens, correcting test orders, registration, etc.
* Verifies test request/order matches specimen type received and performs QC on all Operating Room orders.
* Processes, concentrates, centrifuges, and plants all cultures according to protocol.
* Loads and unloads blood cultures from the Bactec instruments, and verifies receipt of all blood culture specimens.
* Removes positive blood cultures from the Bactec instruments, subcultures and prepares gram stains of the positive blood cultures for the medical technologists.
* Prepares direct specimen gram stains for the medical technologists.
* Processes Ova and Parasite concentrates and slides for the medical technologists.
* Performs Quality Control and maintains QC organisms, according to protocol.
* Stores and disposes of specimens each day (biohazardous waste), according to protocol.
* Performs daily equipment maintenance (biological safety cabinets, Bactec instruments, incubators).
* Prepares various microbiology reagents (coagulase, PVA, etc.).
* Processes proficiency testing samples.
* Transports specimens to other clinical areas as necessary.
* Processes all rapid waived tests (RSSC, RSV, Influenza).
* Works with clinical staff to resolve problems
* Reviews daily pending logs to verify proper receipt and processing of all microbiology specimens.
* Notifies ordering clinicians and cancels unacceptable specimens as necessary.
* Responds to telephone inquiries regarding patient results, test codes, test requirements and related information.
* Unpacks supplies and maintains inventory, ensuring that refrigerators are stocked with media and ova and parasite kits are stocked.
* Trains new employees and students.
* Other duties as assigned.
High school diploma or equivalent, strong organizational skills, strong interpersonal skills, attention to detail, ability to solve problems, computer skills, and customer service skills are required. Prior laboratory experience preferred.
Newton-Wellesley Hospital will provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, veteran or active military status, gender identity or expression, or sexual orientation