Posted in Other 3 days ago.
Type: Full Time
GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
The Medical Assistant II is responsible for functions necessary for the complete and efficient management of patients through the dermatology ambulatory facilities. This position supports Brigham Dermatology Contact Derm Center located at 850 Boylston Street. Responsibilities include assisting adult patients with needs or problems relevant to their visit and assisting physicians with procedures, treatments, and or instructions to patients. In addition, s/he performs as part of a team with other colleagues in the practice to assure that the necessary universal office needs are met and completed.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Performs all functions including, assisting with the processing and disposition of patients, facilitate patient flow, assist with procedures and apply wound dressings as directed by physician. Perform patient education regarding, informed consent, wound care and medication instruction.
* Accurately performs patient intake, using two patient identifiers.
* Keep physicians and patients up to date on patient volume and wait times during sessions.
* Maintain biopsy and procedure logbooks, in compliance with BWH and department standards. Inform patients of laboratory and pathology results as directed by physician.
* Responsible for procedure set-up and physician assistance for all dermatological procedures, using sterile technique. Procedures include punches, shaves, biopsies, ED & C, excisions and cosmetics.
* Call pharmacies with appropriate medication prescriptions and renewals as directed by the physician. Performs and documents all interaction and prescription renewals in the LMR and in accordance with BWH and Department procedures.
* Assists with patient education including informed consent, wound care, and medication instructions.
* Autoclaves instruments and participates in autoclave maintenance.
* Follows infection control and regulatory compliance guidelines.
* Responsible for stocking inventory of all equipment and supplies used for the delivery of clinical care.
* All other duties as assigned, including cross-coverage to front office, and travel to satellite practices when necessary.
* Candidate must have a high school diploma. Must be a graduate of a Medical Assisting training program or have comparable experience.
* Must be certified in Basic Life Support or willing to become certified within 3 months.
* 6 months medical office experience.
* Experience with autoclaving preferred.
* Medical terminology preferred.
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
* Must have necessary analytical, judgmental and interpersonal skills to deal effectively with patients, families and co-workers.
* Communicates with physicians to determine medical assisting needs and to solve problems regarding medical assisting issues.
* Ability to handle sensitive information.
* Strong customer service and interpersonal skills.
* Ability to stand and move about for extended periods.
* Must demonstrate ability to work as a team member.
* Ability to work in close contact with patients (witness medical concerns).
* Ability to establish and maintain good relationships with fellow employees.
* Willingness to cover for other employees as the need arises.
* Assists patients in a manner that promotes the perception that the staff is courteous, efficient, and interested in their health care.
* Treats all patients with dignity and professionalism.
* Hospital based ambulatory practice. Normal patient environments where there are some exposures to communicable diseases, unpleasant odors, needle and blood products.
* Flexible Shift eligible
* Alternate Work Schedule is not available for this position
* This position requires a 40 hour work week. Hours as needed by Department and position.
* Occasional overtime may be required
Brigham and Womens Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, veteran status, disability unrelated to job requirements, genetic information, military service, or other protected status.