Posted in Other 15 days ago.
Type: Full Time
STAFF NURSE ALLERGY AMBULATORY PRACTICE BOSTON AND WALTHAM LOCATIONS
The staff nurse is a registered nurse who is responsible for assuring competent, compassionate, individualized, nursing care for specific patients and their families in the ambulatory care setting. She / he will collaborate with practice leadership, members of the patient care team, and the patient to achieve optimal patient outcomes.
* Performance and recording of allergy skin testing (prick test and intradermal testing) and challenges.
* Application and interpretation of patch testing.
* Screening, dosing and administration of allergy injections.
* Instruction and administration of spirometry testing.
* Screening, mixing and administration of Xolair/Nucala and Fasenra.
* Education of patients and families regarding allergies, asthma and medications commonly used.
* Mixing of allergenic extracts/testing materials.
* Telephone triage of patients.
* Renewal of prescription refill to pharmacies.
* Recognition of medical emergency and initiates alert and treatment system (SPECIFICALLY ABLE TO TREAT AND RECOGNIZE ANAPHYLAXIS).
* Specialty testing to drug and food allergies
* Desensitizations to venom, aspirin and other specialty drugs
* Food challenges to both adult and pediatric population
Provides competent, compassionate nursing care based on scientific principles and the use of nursing process.
* Provides and maintains a therapeutic environment for patients and families.
* Articulates the professional nursing role to the patient, family and health team members.
* Communicates the plan of care and other pertinent information to / from other patient care team members.
* Coordinates involvement of the patient, family and health team members in patient care plan including patient and family teaching.
Provides nursing care appropriate to age group of patients.
Observes, reports, and documents relevant patient information.
Identifies, facilitates, and evaluates outcomes of nursing care for an individual patient or group of patients.
Helps define standards of excellence for patient care, participates in improvement of patient care services in a cost-effective way.
Participates in and contributes to performance improvement activities.
Collaborates with other professional and non-professional personnel in maintaining recognized standards.
* Participates in orientation of new permanent and temporary staff members.
* Teaches and directs nursing and other clinical support staff for whom she / he are responsible.
* Appropriately utilizes nursing resources.
* Interprets hospital and departmental policies and procedures to nurses and other health team members.
Participates in daily activities conducive to the comfort and safety of patients / their families and practice staff.
* Appropriately utilizes equipment and supplies.
* Provides input to the practice leadership regarding practice needs.
* Participates in practice and other committees for formulation of nursing, practice and hospital policies and procedures.
* Maintains and updates clinical knowledge and skills based on current nursing education practice.
* Collaborates with practice leadership to identify his / her developmental level of practice and appropriate learning experiences to enhance development.
* Adheres to Department of Nursing requirements for training as specified in the MGH Nursing Practice Manual.
* Contributes to relevant committees, professional meetings, continuing educational and / or formal academic programs.
Graduate of an approved school of nursing with current registration in Massachusetts.
* Previous Ambulatory clinical experience preferred but not mandatory
* Prior Allergy/Asthma experience preferred but not mandatory
* Organized, efficient, able to function well in a high volume fast paced environment
* 3 years nursing experience strongly preferred
* BLS certification required
* Participates in continuing education
Partners HealthCare is an Equal Opportunity Employer & by embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, sex, age, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation, military service, genetic information, and/or other status protected under law.