Posted in Other 10 days ago.
Type: Part Time
DEPARTMENT DESCRIPTION: The BIDMC Clinical Research Center provides the staff, environment and resources to carry out medical research studies for investigators in all clinical disciplines at BIDMC. The CRC is a resource to investigators providing excellent clinical research nursing, sleep research services, other specialized testing, a research bionutrition program, and clinical research coordination assistance. Using modern techniques of study design, data acquisition, and data analysis, research protocols are implemented, while maintaining the high standard of patient care for which the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center is known. The Diet Technician in the BIDMC CRC works in the bionutrition group supporting nutrition & metabolism research.
JOB LOCATION: Boston, MA
REQ ID: 36224BR
JOB SUMMARY: Performs essential duties associated with the nutritional care and food services to research participants.
DEPARTMENT SPECIFIC JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Under the supervision of the CRC Nutrition Research Manager, the Research Diet Technician is responsible for interviewing research subjects, calculating research diets, and implementing production and pick up schedules for CRC research participants.
* Works closely with the dietitians in implementing and monitoring nutrition research protocols and providing ongoing dietary assistance for subjects participating in CRC protocols.
* Completes data entry in nutrition software systems for the nutrient intake and/or development of specialized meals. Trains nutrition research staff; may participant in the training of nutrition students.
* Conducts and monitors the nutrition research and food production Quality Assurance (QA) measures. Responsible for inventory and ordering supplies and food items necessary for the operation of the metabolic research kitchen and diet office. Assumes responsibility for weekend nutrition dietary coverage and protocol implementation.
* Responsible for the daily operations of the Metabolic Kitchen including meal preparation, daily work sheet, organization, supplies (food and nonfood), food safety, and sanitation.
* Completes nutrient intake analysis using computerized nutrient data banks from food records, recalls, food frequency questionnaires, and other nutrient intake assessment tools.
* Maintains daily, monthly, and quarterly census for meals/snacks served.
* Completes calculation of calorie/nutrient intakes consistent with approved research protocols; may assist with the planning of research meals.
* Maintains strong and effective working relationship with co-workers as well as other department or patient care staff.
* Identifies and reports pertinent information from participant contacts to the Registered Dietitian regarding food acceptance, preferences, and menu selections.
* High School diploma or GED required.
* 0-1 years related work experience required.
* Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
* Bachelors degree in Nutrition or 2 years college credits with nutrition emphasis and Diet Tech Registered (DTR)
* Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are based on specific instructions, standard practices and established procedures which generally require little or no supervision.
* Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are routine, somewhat repetitive and generally solved by following clear directions and procedures and by identifying opportunities for process improvements.
* Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
* WRITTEN COMMUNICATIONS: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
* ORAL COMMUNICATIONS: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
* KNOWLEDGE: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
* TEAM WORK: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
* CUSTOMER SERVICE: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
AGE BASED COMPETENCIES:
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
PHYSICAL NATURE OF THE JOB:
Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently to move objects. Some elements of the job are sedentary, but the employee will be required to stand for periods of time or move through out the hospital campus
Equal Opportunity Employer
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We comply with the laws and regulations set forth by the U.S. Department of Labor.