Posted in Other 8 days ago.
Type: Full Time
The Chief Certified Surgical Technologist will oversee clinical operations of the surgical technology team. This individual will be responsible for the assurance of proper surgical technique and adherence to current standard practices. The Chief Certified Surgical Technologist will provide clinical evaluation of new procedures, policies, and staff development. The Chief Certified Surgical Technologist collaborates with nursing and surgical leadership to promote and improve surgical care and patient safety.
Certified Surgical Technologist/Assistants (CST) are integral members of the surgical/nursing team in each Operating Room. Certified Surgical Technologist/Assistants report the Nursing Director of the Operating Room. They work under the supervision and license of the surgeon and with nurses and other health care professionals as part of a multi-disciplinary team in the role of surgical technician providing quality care for an array of surgical patients. Major functions include, but are not limited to, preparation of an operating room suite and gathering surgical instrumentation and supplies for various surgical procedures.
Certified Surgical Technologist/Assistants are members of the operating team. These professionals are responsible for perioperative and intraoperative work such as:
* Preparing the operating room for surgery, setting up the surgical instruments and equipment, maintaining sterile conditions, monitoring the patient and equipment during surgery and preparing patients and transport them to and from surgery.
Certified Surgical Technologist/Assistants often have a more hands-on role during the procedure and may assist the surgeon with tasks such as:
* Sponging, suctioning, holding retractors, hemostasis (staunching bleeding), treating wounds, limb holding, positioning and manipulating Hana and Arch Tables, assisting in robotic surgery.
Certified Surgical Technologist/ Assistants do not work independently, but under the supervision and guidance of the licensed surgeon present during the procedure.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
* Collaborates/manages the scheduling and training of the Surgical Technologist within the department.
* Participates in decision-making activities related to evaluating and acquiring surgical equipment, instrumentation and supplies.
* Adheres to and enforces all regulatory standards in accordance with the Hospital, state and federal regulations for patients, personnel, and equipment.
* Responsible for providing direct and/or advisory supervision to section technologists through collaboration with the Clinical Nursing Director.
* Recommends solutions to interdepartmental and intradepartmental coordination problems.
* Establishes, revises, and implements new procedures and policies, in cooperation with the Perioperative Leadership team.
* Provides guidance and instruction to technologists regarding new and updated surgical procedures.
* Organizes educational programs to promote professional development of staff scrub technologists.
* Develops relationships and establishes formalized clinical relationships with scrub technology training programs.
* Oversees all aspects of scrub technology clinical trainees
* Organize staff meetings and collaborates within the perioperative department to promote staff development and professional growth.
* Supports a team approach to problem solving.
* Collaborates with the Central Processing Leadership team in process improvement projects.
* Maintains collaborative, team relationships with peers and colleagues in order to effectively contribute to the working groups achievement of goals, and to help foster a positive work environment.
* Performs other similar and related duties as required or directed.
Supervises all technologists within Perioperative Services. * Displays excellent knowledge and skills related to a vast variety of surgical procedures and demonstrates the ability to proficiently support multiple service lines and case types within the Operating Room.
* Works with the surgical health team under the direct supervision of a registered nurse to provide care to the patient during the intra-operative period.
* Performs scrub duties according to procedure.
* Selects and organizes supplies and equipment specific to the proposed surgical procedure by accessing the preference cards. Has the knowledge and understanding of service specific specialty instrumentation and equipment. Able to problem solve instrumentation issues.
* Anticipates changes and adjusts in case preparation according to the variation in the procedure. Effectively prioritize and organize work activities.
* Cares for instruments and supplies according to established procedures.
* Develops independent performance at the intermediate and expert level in own service and cluster.
* Participates in activities conducive to the safety of patients and team members.
* Monitors and supports use of aseptic technique.
* Correctly labels medications on the field.
* Actively participates in the Universal Protocol process
* Responsible with the RN for prevention of retained surgical items
* Responsible for the care and handling of specimens.
* Assists in evaluating the quality and care of equipment, instruments and supplies.
* Utilizes interpersonal skill in relationships with other health team members.
* Collaborates with Nurse Manager to identify and meet learning needs.
* Seeks opportunities for continuing education and skill development.
* Adheres to Department of Nursing requirements for required training.
* Assists in the maintenance of the Perioperative Services Information Systems for preference card management and custom page development
1. Certification as a Certified Surgical Technologist (CST).
2. National certification is required in accordance with Massachusetts law.
3. Requires 5 years current CST experience in a multi specialties , knowledge of patient care and set aspetic technique is essential.
4. Personal attributes such as good judgment, dependability and initiative are necessary.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
1. Must have knowledge of septic and aseptic technique and be conscious of both at all times.
2. Must be aware of safety standards and hazards in the room.
3. Must have knowledge of patient positioning and assist circulator when necessary.
4. Must have knowledge of care and handling of surgical instruments.
5. Must have knowledge of care and safety hazards of all specialty equipment.
6. Understands the normal and recognizes deviation from normal within his/her specialty.
7. Demonstrates expertise on the use and maintenance of equipment and/or machinery required for area of specialty. Most of this is expensive highly technical equipment requiring expert handling and care, i.e., $50,000 microscopes, $10,000 arthroscopes.
8. Is aware of and utilizes accepted standards of care and participates in the evaluation of those standards.
9. Must have ability to recall past experience in order to anticipate surgical team needs.
Partners HealthCare is an Equal Opportunity Employer & by embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, sex, age, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation, military service, genetic information, and/or other status protected under law.