Posted in Other 30+ days ago.
Type: Full Time
We seek an exceptional researcher to join our efforts in developing tools to use third-generation (long read) sequencing data to advance genomic medicine. In partnership with several other sequencing centers and research groups, the Broad Institute is undertaking long-read sequencing of hundreds of patients with severe Mendelian/rare disease. Our goal is to identify candidate causal genetic mutations (ranging from single nucleotide to megabase-scale structural variants) that may not have been discovered with previous genotyping or short-read sequencing approaches. This will require the development of novel software tools for variant identification and cloud-based workflows to automate their application to hundreds of patient genomes.
The ideal candidate should be broadly conversant with bioinformatics techniques for genomic, transcriptomic, or epigenomic data analysis. The candidate should be proficient in at least one programming language (e.g., Python, Java, C/C++, R), familiar with statistics and/or machine learning, made significant contributions to their area of study, and enjoy working across diverse projects in a team environment.
- A Ph.D. in Computational Biology, Bioinformatics, Biostatistics, Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, Biology, Biological Sciences, or a related field.
- Proficiency in working in the Unix environment.
- Proficiency in at least one of the following languages: Python, Java, C/C++, or R.
- Demonstrated attention to detail.
- Excellent ability to communicate scientific material.
- Excellent organization and time management skills.
- Excellent collaborative skills and unrelenting enthusiasm for genomic science.
- Comfort and experience with programming for biological data analysis.
- Familiarity with long-read sequencing data (Pacific Biosciences and/or Oxford Nanopore).
- Experience with cloud computing, cluster computing, containerization, and parallelization.
- Understanding of basic Mendelian genetics.
- Familiarity with statistical models (e.g. hidden Markov models) and/or machine learning.
The Broad Institute is an amazing place - we apply our deep knowledge of human genetics and computational methods to empower a revolution in bio-medicine and accelerate the pace at which the world conquers disease. Through our partnerships with MIT, Harvard, and the Harvard teaching hospitals, we've become a worldwide hub of cutting-edge biomedical science.
The Long Reads group within the Data Sciences Platform at the Broad Institute tackles methods development needs arising from long-read sequencing data. We work in a dynamic and highly collaborative environment, connected to groups across the Broad community and to clinical and academic researchers from around the globe.
*** PLEASE INCLUDE A COVER LETTER WITH YOUR APPLICATION ***
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Check out this video for a look into our community!.