Posted in Engineering 30+ days ago.
If you’re looking to lead, we’re looking for you. The Fitness team is seeking a dedicated team leader to direct and coordinate activities of a Low-Level/Firmware software engineering team. You will directly supervise software team members with daily observation, assuring appropriate attendance, and providing assistance to team members. You will direct activities related to addressing gaps in software security as the industry security landscape evolves. Must be able to directly supervise software team members, consulting with Human Resources to address employee relations issues, hire and train new associates and oversee training and mentoring of all associates on your team. Our fitness technology provides a combination of performance, safety, quality, value, innovation and ease of operation to help our consumers get the most out of their workouts. We strive for continual innovation, resulting in high-quality, state-of-the-art products aimed at giving our consumers an unwavering level of confidence when they’re out running, biking, golfing or swimming. If fitness is your passion, we need to catch you!
We are looking for a full-time Software Engineering Team Leader to direct and support embedded software engineers on the Low Level/Firmware team at our headquarters in Olathe, Kansas (a beautiful suburb of Kansas City). In this role, you’ll be responsible for coordinating and participating in generating software requirements and designs for a product or family of products in accordance with Garmin’s software development methodology.
Other essential functions include:
Develop low-level software to turn-on hardware platforms for fitness wearable devices
Work with Human Resources to address employee relations issues as needed including writing and conducting annual performance evaluations
Participate in software design reviews as necessary, assuring proper attendees and proper coverage of topics, imparting lessons learned and good design practices to all who attend
Create product development plans as directed by engineering management
Interview, hire and train new associates
Oversee training and mentoring of new associates in the arts of software engineering and project management
Ensure the team meets overall development goals in accordance with the product development plan or market requirements and ensure project milestones are met
Monitor progress of the software teams in meeting product requirements and schedule compliance
Set the tone for the team environment and build healthy team relationships
Participate in college campus interviewing and other recruiting activities
Qualified candidates possess a Bachelors or Masters of Science Degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, OR a minimum of ten years work experience performing a role substantially similar to the essential functions of this job description.
Other requirements include:
• Demonstrates proficiency with designing well-architected software systems and modules that support new technology or improve capability / performance of existing functionality
• Must possess proficiency in writing software in C on embedded processors
• Proficient in using oscilloscopes, logic analyzers and multi meters, debuggers to design, test and validate embedded systems
• Proficient in low level interrupt handling code and device drivers
• Demonstrated skills with managing software development life cycles from requirements generation to architecture and design to delivery and maintenance
• Demonstrated strong and effective verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills to effectively support a diverse stakeholder community
• Demonstrated ability to effectively manage technical human resources
• Demonstrated ability to work well with others under challenging circumstances
• Demonstrated ability to create, champion and execute project plans on schedule
Desired skills include 5+ years in a technical leadership position with demonstrated ability to develop sound engineering practices and communication skills within the team
Garmin International is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran’s status, age or disability.