Posted in Other 24 days ago.
Interested in a career with both meaning and growth? Whether your abilities are in direct patient care or one of the many other areas of healthcare administration and support, everyone at Parkland works together to fulfill our mission: the health and well-being of individuals and communities entrusted to our care. By joining Parkland, you become part of a diverse healthcare legacy that's served our community for more than 125 years. Put your skills to work with us, seek opportunities to learn and join a talented team where patient care is more than a job. It's our passion.
The Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation (ECMO) Specialist (ES) is responsible for ensuring appropriate patient care through the continuous monitoring of the ECMO circuit, related technology, and patient status. Through assessment of patient status and the ECMO circuit, the incumbent identifies and corrects problems associated with the ECMO procedure and initiates and evaluates interventions consistent with protocol. The ES consults with the ECMO physician when patient condition and/or protocol limits or directives are in question. As a member of the ECMO team, this position works closely with other team members and health care providers to provide patient care in accordance with the patient's individualized care plan.
Education - Bachelor's degree in specialty.
- Must have 3 year of critical care experience.
- Preference is greater than 6 year of critical care experience.
- Must have current, valid RN license or temporary RN license from the Texas Board of Nursing; or, valid Compact RN license OR/ - Licensed Perfusionist OR/ - Licensed Respiratory Therapist
- Must have current healthcare provider CPR course completion card from one of the following: - American Heart Association - American Red Cross - Military Training Network.
- Must have ACLS
Skills or Special Abilities
- Must be capable of serving as a clinical resource for staff. - Must be an expert in their field of study Responsibilities - The ES systematically and continuously collects and assesses data in collaboration with the ECMO team to provide therapeutic care for the patient and family. A. Monitors and adjusts ECMO circuit settings, (e.g. heat exchanger temperature, pump flow, sweep gas) to maintain parameters established by the ECMO physician. B. Infuses blood products, fluids, and/or medications per ECMO protocol. C. Assesses the cardiovascular (hemodynamic) status of the patient through test results (e.g. ABG's, CBC, etc.) and physical assessment findings. D. Performs patient assessment to anticipate and prevent potential problems (e.g., variances in blood pressure, perfusion, and heart rate). E. Verifies and implements physicians orders pertaining to drug dosages and monitors potential drug interactions pertaining to the ECMO patient. F. Monitors and manages fluids according to ECMO protocol and maintains accurate intake and output records to ensure appropriate fluid levels. G. Utilizes Activated Clotting Time (ACT) values to assess clotting status; adjusts heparin infusion per ECMO protocol. H. In collaboration with the ECMO physician, evaluates chest x-rays for endotracheal tube placement, cannulae position, and status of the lung fields in determining patient status and weaning guidelines; supports and maintains patency of the cannulae while patient is undergoing ECMO. I. Supports ECMO team research through the collection of ECMO- related data, preparation and presentation of research abstracts and/or other documentation. - The ES will accurately identify and diagnose an issue, identify alternatives, implement a plan, evaluate and communicate results. A. Demonstrates commitment to quality and excellence. B. Problems are solved through critical evaluation of databased information and continuous improvement efforts that lead to effective quality-based outcomes.
1. Identifies ways to improve work processes and improve customer satisfaction. Makes recommendations to supervisor, implements, and monitors results as appropriate in support of the overall goals of the department and Parkland. 2. Stays abreast of the latest developments, advancements, and trends in the field by attending seminars/workshops, reading professional journals, actively participating in professional organizations, and/or maintaining certification or licensure. Integrates knowledge gained into current work practices. 3. Maintains knowledge of applicable rules, regulations, policies, laws and guidelines that impact the area. Develops effective internal controls designed to promote adherence with applicable laws, accreditation agency requirements, and federal, state, and private health plans. Seeks advice and guidance as needed to ensure proper understanding.
Parkland Health and Hospital System prohibits discrimination based on age (40 or over), race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, disability, national origin, marital status, political belief, or veteran status.