Posted in Other 25 days ago.
Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: 28 hours per week. Rotating schedule to include some weekends.
PT position for SLP i. 1 year experience preferred but will consider a new grad. 28 hours per week. Rotating schedule to include some weekends.
Barium swallow studies needed and FEES training preferred.
At Houston Methodist, the Speech Language Pathologist I (SLP I) is responsible for assessing patients and developing the therapy plan of care. Provides education to patients, patients family members, and/or caregivers and collaborates with other health care professionals as needed for problem resolution and/or achievement of identified patient specific goals. As a member of the patient care team provides direct patient care. Has responsibility to deliver exceptional patient care with adherence to safety standards and guidelines to ensure optimal patient safety, customer service, and optimum patient outcomes. May serve as a mentor and resource to less experienced staff to include clinical observers, other disciplines (nursing, PT, OT), some entry level students.
PATIENT AGE GROUP(S) AND POPULATION(S) SERVED
Refer to departmental "Scope of Service" and "Provision of Care" plans, as applicable, for description of primary age groups and populations served by this job for the respective HM entity.
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
o Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
- INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
- COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
- ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
- RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
- EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
o Focuses on patient/customer safety
o Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
o Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
o Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
o Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 20 %
1. Promotes a positive work environment and contributes to a dynamic, team focused work unit that actively helps one another to achieve optimal department results. Collaborates with all members of the patient care team by actively communicating and reporting pertinent patient care information and data in a comprehensive manner. (EF)
2. Serves as resource to co-workers and may assist in: teaching and provide guidance to students and support staff, participate in the orientation of new team members, and serve as Clinical Instructor.
SERVICE - 20 %
1. Performs complete and comprehensive evaluation of patients to identify patients level of function and to determine the treatment plan. Develops the plan of care based on evaluation findings and implements the speech therapy treatment plan. (EF)
2. Provides education to patients, patients family members, and/or caregivers. Serves as resource to clinical fellows and nursing in teaching best practices. (EF)
3. Collaborates and communicates with the healthcare team modifications to patients treatment plan, progress, and discharge planning for achievement of identified patient specific goals. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 20 %
1. Assesses patients regularly, monitors progress towards treatment goals, modifies goals, and plan or program as indicated. Recognizes complications/limitations associated with certain procedures and proactively addresses such for optimum outcomes. (EF)
2. Identifies opportunities and provides recommendations for corrective action and process improvement. Contributes to meeting departmental and hospital targets for quality and safety. (EF)
3. Provides oversight of speech related activities completed by caregivers or nursing, and if necessary adjust the plan to improve quality of outcome and maintain the safety of the patient. (EF)
FINANCE - 20 %
1. Uses resources efficiently to maximize utilization of time and equipment. Meets labor productivity standards by effectively managing established patient load assignments. (EF)
2. Maintains accurate and complete documentation of patient education procedures performed in a timely manner in the patient record. Enters accurate charges for services provided as applicable. (EF)
3. Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize tasks for self and for specialty area of focus.
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 20 %
1. Actively participates in departmental projects and hospital committees. (EF)
2. Seeks opportunities to expand learning beyond baseline competencies with a focus on continual development as a Speech Language Pathologist I.
3. Assists higher level SLPs with program development and/or clinical competencies.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o Graduate of education program approved by the credentialing body for the required credential(s) indicated below in the Certificates, Licenses and Registrations section.
o No experience required
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
o Texas Speech Language Pathologist License or or eligible for temporary Texas Speech Language Pathologist License- must obtain licensure within 90 days of employment
o Certificate of Clinical Competence in Speech-Language Pathology (CCC-SLP) by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA)
o American Heart Association BLS
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
o Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations.
o Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
o Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
o Exhibits strong interpersonal, teamwork and leadership skills with all levels of the healthcare team and assures delivery of excellent customer service to all patients, visitors, physicians and co-workers.
o Possesses proficient computer knowledge; operates multiple computer systems and standard Rehabilitation equipment.
o Demonstrate professional and technical competence in the selection, evaluation, utilization of treatment plans.
Work Attire Yes/No
Business professional No
Other (dept approved) Yes
On-Call* Yes, on a regular basis (for Non-Exempt or Exempt jobs)
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (ie. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of selection above.
May require travel within Yes
Houston Metropolitan area
May require travel outside No
of Houston Metropolitan area
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity,national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor - priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Houston Methodist Clear Lake Hospital brings the expertise and compassionate care of Houston Methodist Hospital in The Texas Medical Center - a national Honor Roll hospital - to Bay Area communities. The hospital provides a broad spectrum of adult medical and surgical care, is an accredited chest pain center, and is also acute stroke-ready designated through DNV. Houston Methodist Clear Lake offers many inpatient and outpatient services including 3-D mammography and other state-of-the-art imaging, labor and delivery with a level II neonatal ICU, Cancer Center of Excellence, advanced laparoscopic surgery, comprehensive orthopedics and sports medicine, neurology, urology and otolaryngology. Also, Houston Methodist Clear Lake Hospital is honored to be the only hospital in the bay area to have a Grade A rating from Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grading.