Posted in Other 8 days ago.
The research assistant (RA) will work on recruitment and testing of subjects for several studies focused on lung disease, specifically chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF).
He/she will perform a full scope of responsibilities including participant recruitment, scheduling subject visits, quality control, and data management. Will complete study specific protocols to collect data by telephone and in-hospital study visits. Will also assist in training / support of other technicians. In addition, it will require administrative tasks like study documentation, IRB amendments and participant reimbursements.
The RA will work closely with faculty members to implement new study protocols and data collection tools and will be responsible for the efficient flow and quality-control of data during both the collection and data analysis stages. The RA will work closely with the principal investigators, other professional staff, and all supporting staff. The RA will interpret study results in conference with other researchers.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Recruit study participants by personal interview and phone. Facilitate theascertainment of and review of medical records for participants. Enrollsubjects into the studies independently. Must have sensitivity to complexmedical and psychological problems of potential study participants.
* Maintain hard and electronic copies of forms in a readily available,organized format. Maintain quality control and quality assurance of all datacollected.
* Document all study procedures to maintain an accurate, comprehensiverecord of how a study is conducted.
* Provide support for the development of strategic recruitment plans formaintaining clinical research participant enrollment.
* Work with the lab supervisor in the processing and management of specimenscollected. Confirm all results received from outside labs and update thedatabase.
* Communicate with various providers in BWH to implement study-specificprocedures including radiologists, radiology technicians, PFT technicians,physicians, and phlebotomists.
* Maintain communications with study sponsors and outside vendors, includingon site meetings and monitoring visits.
* Perform data entry of questionnaires and data management using computerprograms including REDCAP and ACCESS.
* Complete study protocol independently at visits including administrationof questionnaires, vital signs, pulmonary function testing, and collection ofblood samples. Must keep accurate documentation of all study procedures. Informinvestigators when test results appear abnormal or when a participant may needto be referred to a doctor. Must have excellent independent problem-solvingabilities for problems which develop during testing. Perform additionalclinical measurements as needed.
* Coordinate reimbursement of study participants.
* Maintain established department policies, procedures, objectives, qualityassurance, safety, environmental and infection control for all aspects of fieldand laboratory operations. Performs all other duties/responsibilities asdirected.
* Maintain current recruiting and enrollment estimates for each protocol,reporting to principal investigators regularly.
* Work with faculty to oversee the use of project funds, equipment, andsupplies. Investigate and make recommendations for appropriate equipment andsupplies to be purchased for new protocols.
* Maintain and track IRB submissions (amendments, violations, annualreviews) and other regulatory documents.
* BS/BA degree in biological/physical/social science required.
* At least one year of research experience in clinical trials or epidemiological studies is required, 3-5 years of related experience preferred.
* 1-2 years experience with computers including word processing, spreadsheet applications, and database management.
* Phlebotomy experience necessary.
* Must have a high level of professionalism and integrity and consistently display solid judgment in a non-supervised setting.
* Must positively and professionally represent the Hospital and Healthcare Centers in all client interactions.
* Must have ability to work independently.
* Requires excellent oral and written communication skills.
* Must possess excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to coordinate the activities of others. Must be able to set priorities and manage staff over a wide range of activities.
* Must possess excellent organizational skills.
* Must be willing to make phone calls and perform study visits in the evenings and on weekends to ensure maximum recruitment effort.
* Must be computer proficient. Experience in database management and Microsoft Office preferred.
* Phlebotomy experience required.
Main office is the Channing Division of Network Medicine at 181 LongwoodAvenue, which is a normal office environment. Will also include hospital outpatientclinics and clinical research areas and a normal laboratory environment.
Will handle biological fluids, including blood samples, under controlledconditions.
Will require some evening and weekend telephone calls.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualifiedapplicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race,color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteranstatus, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-relatedcondition or any other characteristic protected by law. Women and minoritycandidates are particularly encouraged to apply.