Job Description Summary
Operates and maintains boilers and steam/hot water systems that supply heat or power for a potato processing plant.
- Responsible for working in a safe and orderly manner while in the plant or on plant property.
- Lights gas or oil-fed burners under the direct supervision of the Boiler Chief.
- Observes pressure, temperature, and draft meters on panel to verify specified operation of automatic combustion control systems, feed water regulators, and burners.
- Turns valves and adjusts controls to set specified fuel feed, draft openings, water level, and steam pressure of boiler.
- Observes boiler and auxiliary units to detect malfunctions.
- Makes repairs such as changing burners and tightening pipes and fittings, as necessary.
- Analyzes and treats boiler feed water.
- Maintains log of meter and gauge readings and records data such as water test results and quantity of fuel consumed.
- Communicates boiler operations needs with production and maintenance departments, assuring safety requirements are met.
- Adheres to all company and plant policies, work rules, and procedures.
- Ability to wear an SCBA and HazMat suit
- Work overtime occasionally
- Performs other duties as assigned
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- High School or GED equivalent and at least three years related experience and or training.
- Must possess a Minnesota Boiler license