Strategic Procurement Manager - Capital
Position reports to the Lead Strategic Purchasing Manager CAPEX in the Goods & Services Department.
- Primarily responsible for planning and execution of procurement for equipment and construction services on major projects,.Capital spend under managementaverages $75 million per year.
- Assist with coordination with Global Capital procurement Team to develop consistent Capital Procurement practices and coordinating Capital procurement.
- Support developmentof procurement practices and culture for full cycle procurement project management across Arkema Inc's Enterprise
- Support development of processes to consolidate and forecast procurement resource requirements for small to mid-size capital projects.
- Responsible for compiling and maintaining the GASP capital forecast for all capital requiring procurement support across all Business Units and Staff groups.
- Lead capital sourcing through development of project procurement plans for major projects, working closely with Engineering & Technology project engineers, plant project engineers and Goods and Services Purchasing personnel, vendors, and third party engineering and procurement resources, to optimize value from suppliers for the purchase and installation of capital assets, in alignment with project requirements and schedules.
- Manage risk to Arkema by negotiating favorable contract terms and conditions with support from Law department, and facilitating vendor qualification per Arkema HES and GASP procedures.
- Source and manage select goods or services categories or vendors, generally in support of capital related activities, or as assigned.
Key Activities and responsibilities
- Proactively work with Engineering & Technology, or site engineering, determine the sourcing requirements for mid to large capital projects or asset acquisitions, and develop appropriate procurement plans for project sourcing requirements on assigned or assumed projects, by soliciting budgetary and competitive bidding per Arkema Capital Procurement Procedure, for project requirements, using traditional and e-sourcing processes and tools as appropriate, evaluate bids including safety, financial, and technical aspects of bids received, compile bid tabs, and review with project teams to select vendors, or oversee the bid evaluation if conducted by third party procurement resources. (60%)
- In collaboration with key stakeholders, project sponsors and the Law Department, negotiate contracts with selected suppliers, including optimizing commercial terms, and compliance with purchasing policies and procedures, ethical practices and adherence to relevant laws and regulations. (25%)
- In collaboration with Business Units, plants, and Engineering & Technology, GASP US, and others, compile cross business capital requirements for all capital projects, determine spend leveraging opportunities, and to arrange procurement resources to support project requirements. (15%)
Context and environment
This position focuses on leading strategic procurement of capital equipment and construction services, securing supply, optimizing cost and schedule, and meeting project requirements.In this position, you will be expected to be a subject matter expert in the sourcing of capital equipment and construction services, applying industry best practice, and knowledge of the markets for common chemical equipment and construction services. You will also engage with senior manufacturing and engineering personnel, including Manufacturing Directors and Plant Managers, Engineering & Technical Directors, Senior Managers, and Lawyers on a regular basis.Periodic travel to project and vendor locations will be required in the range of 10-30% of overall role.
- Supports the site HES policy and complies with all regulatory and internal requirements
- Participates in HES activities provided by site management and Arkema Inc. (e.g., Behavioral Base Safety, SafeStart, etc.)
- Supports and promotes the reporting of all health, safety, environmental, near-miss, accident or injury incidents
Required Education/Qualifications /Work experience
- BS in Engineering, Business Management, or Technical Field required
- Minimum 5 years of experience required (10 years preferred) in purchasing capital equipment and contracted services for chemical manufacturing processes
- Ability to facilitate cross business data gathering and procurement plan development
- Ability to read and understand Process Flow Diagrams (PFDs), engineering drawings, and technical design documents
- Excellent listening and communication skills to effectively interface with internal customers and suppliers
- Strong negotiation and contract skills, strong Supplier Management Skills
- Project management and/or purchasing certification (preferred)
- Advanced Microsoft Office Suite skills
- Must be able to adapt to changing priorities
- SAP experience (preferred)
Demonstrated Competencies(Describe behaviors necessary for role)
- Communicates effectively:Ensures personal consistency in words and actions; Skillfully articulates key information both verbally and in writing; Listens carefully and understands various viewpoints; Presents ideas clearly and concisely; Ability to engage at all levels of the organization, and externally.
- Global Collaboration: Ensures alignment on all activities with global CAPEX activities and practices
- Delivers results:Makes significant contributions to achievement of company's strategic and financial objectives.Ability to handle multiple priorities, satisfy project schedules, and effectively source to deliver projects on time and within budget.
- Demonstrates Professional Knowledge: Knows the company's businesses, related industries, and operations; Possesses strong functional and/or technical knowledge and skills in areas of responsibility and stays current with trends and new developments; Looks to apply new solutions where needed.
- Ability to lead and manage experienced procurement team