Posted in Other 3 days ago.
BUILD YOUR FUTURE, WHILE PROTECTING THEIRS.
You will be challenged. Rewarded. And valued for your unique experience, background and perspective.
Join a team where hard work pays off and original thinking is celebrated. As you build your future at Westfield Insurance, you will quickly learn that protecting our customer's future by delivering on our promise to help restore lives and rebuild businesses when the unexpected happens is at the heart of what we do. Building relationships and caring about people has been part of our culture since 1848. Be a part of a team that recognizes and appreciates those who take initiative, know how to elevate an idea and can innovate and seek opportunity in a changing world.
Actuarial Analyst 1 Job Summary
Location: Westfield Center, OH; open to remote work within Westfield's operating territory
The Actuarial Analyst 1, working under direct supervision, assists with the following items: conducting analyses, providing recommendations, and participating in special projects of an actuarial nature. This is the entry-level actuarial position, working on developing actuarial skills and acumen. Depending on their area of assignment the Actuarial Analyst 1 may assist with a wide-variety of actuarial duties as outlined in the essential functions below.
Essential Functions (primary functions and/or reasons the job exists in order of importance)
1. Working under direct supervision, completes actuarial assignments with direction given. Follows standard processes in assisting with completing the following items in assigned area (e.g. Pricing, Loss Reserving, Research and Development):
* Providing input on pricing of new and existing products.
* Collaborating with Underwriting and Product in managing business.
* Determining loss and loss expense reserve recommendations.
* Preparing and defending state filing materials and developing management reports.
* Estimating unpaid loss and loss expense liabilities.
* Providing support to Financial Reporting (e.g. annual statements).
2. Assists in providing recommendations on actuarial matters such as pricing, reserving, or modeling.
3. Works on assigned projects of an actuarial nature under direction of more experienced actuarial team members. Completes research, ensures accuracy of calculations and analyses, and meets project deadlines.
4. Extracts, organizes, and validates data in support of actuarial analysis.
5. Assists in developing management reports that are used to monitor performance, behavior, and results of company goals and objectives.
6. Develops and expands knowledge of generally accepted actuarial methods along with relevant tools and technologies.
7. Develops and maintains adequate knowledge and awareness of industry activities through attendance at seminars, reading trade journals and magazines, and through personal contact with other insurance companies, state regulatory bodies and professional affiliations.
8. Travels occasionally in order to participate in special assignments, training, and/or travel between office locations.
Desired Qualifications/Experience/Certification/Education (in order of importance)
1. Credit for completion of one Casualty Actuarial Society exam.
2. Bachelor's degree in actuarial science, mathematics or related field or commensurate experience.
3. Experience utilizing MS Excel (e.g. writing formulas, creating charts and tables).
4. Ability to collect and analyze data, identify trends, and provide input.
5. Experience and skill utilizing programming languages such as SAS, R, SQL, and Visual Basic.
6. Experience being accurate with a focus on attention to details.
7. Strong organizational skills gained through previous work experiences
8. Experience working independently as well as within a team environment.
9. Solid written and oral communication skills.
10. Valid driver's license and a driving record that conforms to company standards.
Physical Requirements (specific to the role)
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
* Ability to work effectively in an office environment for 40+ hours per week (including sitting, standing and working on a computer for extended periods of time).
* Ability to communicate effectively in a collaborative work environment utilizing various technologies such as: telephone, computer, web, voice, teleconferencing, e-mail, etc.
* Ability to travel as required.
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed in this role. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, skills, responsibilities, knowledge, etc. These may be subject to change and additional functions may be assigned as needed by management.
Westfield offers a Total Rewards program that focuses on compensation, benefits and wellness, and includes perks like 401(k), pension plan, annual incentive, education reimbursement, flex-time, onsite fitness center and casual dress. Work-life balance, recognition, and learning and career development are all part of a rewarding career with Westfield Insurance.
To learn more about Westfield and the opportunities available, please visit us at www.westfieldinsurance.com.
We are an equal opportunity employer/minority/female/disability/protected veteran.