This position requires regularly lifting, pushing, and/or pulling objects weighing up to 50 pounds; standing or walking with objects weighing up to 25 pounds; performing tasks with repetitive motions (such as typing); and intermittently sitting at a computer workstation for extended periods of time. Also involves risk of injuries from moving, lifting or positioning patients, equipment, or materials; and exposure to hazardous chemicals and fumes including waste; radiation; burns; cuts/punctures; blood-borne or airborne pathogens; and recombinant DNA or viral vectors.
Monday through Friday; 3:00pm - 11:30pm; possible weekends, some holidays, some call.
UK Healthcare is seeking a Central Sterile Tech to operate as one of the most important team members in a hospital's arsenal - assisting our frontline workers during complex cases as well as those with high levels of acuity.
Our Central Sterile Techs are directly responsible for assembling and processing surgical instrument trays as well as decontaminating used instruments that assist in eliminating infections and maintaining supplies. The selected candidate will also be essential in answering unit phone calls, responding to OR requests, and maintaining cleanliness of the department/workstation.
Qualified candidates will have a good working knowledge of regulatory standards for universal precautions, sterilization methodologies, and regulatory standards for biological monitoring.
Applicants who possess the CRCST (Certified Registered Central Service Technician) certification are eligible to be hired into a Central Sterile Tech/Certified/ UKHC position, which is a grade 7 ($16.75/hour - $27.31/hour).
Applicants who are not certified at time of hire are eligible to receive a pay increase and be moved into the Certified, grade 7 role once certification has been obtained and 90 days of successful employment have been completed.
All pay rates will be based on candidate's experience. Certification is required for all new hires within 18 months of hire date.
Skills / Knowledge / Abilities
The ideal candidate will have basic knowledge of aseptic techniques following universal standard precautions; and knowledge of operating room instrumentation, processing technique, and equipment care. This person must adhere to UK Healthcare policies and must be able to read and follow manufacturer guidelines.
Does this position have supervisory responsibilities?
Central sterile experience preferred; current CRCST certification highly preferred.
Deadline to Apply
University Community of Inclusion
The University of Kentucky is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce by ensuring all our students, faculty, and staff work in an environment of openness and acceptance. We strive to foster a community where people of all identities, and perspectives can feel secure and welcome. We also value the well-being of each of our employees and are dedicated to creating a healthy place to work, learn and live. In the interest of maintaining a safe and healthy environment for our students, employees, patients and visitors the University of Kentucky is a Tobacco & Drug Free campus.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we strongly encourage veterans, individuals with disabilities, women, and all minorities to consider our employment opportunities.
Any candidate offered a position may be required to pass pre-employment screenings as mandated by University of Kentucky Human Resources. These screenings may include a national check and/or drug screen.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* Are you currently a Certified Registered Central Service Technician (CRCST)?
* What shifts do you prefer to work and/or are available to work? (Open Ended Question)
* University of Kentucky HealthCare seeks to attract, develop and retain highly skilled and competent employees, to provide the best experience for every patient, every time. If selected for a position, do you agree to abide by the UK HealthCare Values of diversity, innovation, respect, compassion, and teamwork?
* University of Kentucky HealthCare recognizes a set of values that guide us in our daily interactions. By applying for a position within UK Healthcare, you are indicating your commitment and expressing your agreement to our five values. These values are diversity, innovation, respect, compassion, and teamwork. Please choose one of the UK Healthcare values and give a specific example when you exhibited this quality in your professional experience. (Open Ended Question)
* Where did you first see this position advertised?
UK Jobs Website
Military Connection Advertisement
"I'm Interested" page on Nurse Recruitment website
Diverseeducation.com (Diverse Issues in Higher Education)