Have one or more of the following: 1. Kentucky Registered SRNA , for ED- KY Registered SRNA or EMT 2.RN nursing student who has completed first fundamental course and a clinical 3. Military Medic 4. current/active LPN license 5. Acquired Nursing Care Technician ( NCT ) competencies through continuous employment in a NCT or PCT role at University of Kentucky Plus BLS Certification at time of hire Plus American Heart Association ( AHA ) Basic Life Support certification for the Healthcare Provider valid at time of hire is required.
This position requires regularly sitting at a computer workstation for extended periods of time and performing tasks with repetitive motions (such as typing); lifting, pushing, and/or pulling objects weighing up to or over 50 pounds; and standing or walking with objects weighing up to 10 pounds; occasionally requires standing or walking with objects weighing up to 25 pounds and/or working in confined spaces. Also involves some exposure to risk of injury from moving, lifting, or positioning patients, equipment, or materials; and exposure to loud noises, temperature extremes, hazardous chemicals and fumes including waste, radiation, burns, cuts/punctures, blood-borne or airborne pathogens, and/or combative/violent people.
Must be able to work three 12.5-hour shifts per week; shifts may include days, evenings, nights, and/or swing. Will also be required to work some weekends and holidays.
This position works one-on-one with a Registered Nurse (RN) to complete delegated tasks and provide direct patient care such as: obtain vital signs, phlebotomy, documentation, assist with ADL's (activities of daily living), order and stock supplies, respond to patient call lights, unit orientation, and patient admission, transfer, and discharge. Positions may also involve moving patients from bed to wheelchair or stretcher, or stretcher to treatment/surgical tables. Handling of specimens and delivery to labs and preparation of patients for surgical procedures may also be required.
The primary responsibilities for this position consist of providing prompt, compassionate, and patient centered care in a collaborative, team-oriented work environment. This dynamic environment supports collaborative efforts among the nursing staff and the teams of physicians to increase communication, follow through, and enhance patient outcomes and satisfaction. This includes utilization of the nursing process in conjunction with a comprehensive patient-centered plan of care, ensuring patient satisfaction and adhering to University policies and procedures as well as federal, state and local regulations.
The University of Kentucky HealthCare Enterprise ( UKHC ) recognizes a set of values that guide us in our daily interactions. By applying for a position within UKHC , you are indicating your commitment to and expressing your agreement with our five values: diversity, innovation, respect, compassion, and teamwork.
In addition, the essential functions for this position include the ability to lift, carry, push, and pull 50-100 pounds on a daily basis, as well as stand, walk, and sit for long periods of time. The conditions of work may involve exposure to communicable diseases and injury from intractable patients or sharp instruments.
Please apply for any and all positions for which you feel qualified. If you do not apply for a specific position, you cannot be considered for the position.
The University of Kentucky considers the health, safety and well-being of our entire community to be a top priority. In alignment with this priority, all new hires must provide proof of COVID -19 vaccination or obtain an approved medical or religious exemption as a condition of employment. For areas that fall under the federal CMS mandate, start of employment cannot occur until two weeks after receiving the full COVID -19 vaccination series or upon obtaining an approved exemption. Only vaccines approved by the World Health Organization can be accepted.
Skills / Knowledge / Abilities
The ideal candidate will be compassionate, honest, trustworthy, and have a strong work ethic. Must enjoy working in a team, but also be able to take direction and communicate effectively with staff, patients and their family members independently. In addition, must also be confident and enjoy working in a fast-paced environment. Knowledge of CPR and basic concept of abnormal vital sign parameters is a must. Candidate will also need strong organizational, prioritization, basic computer navigation skills, and a working knowledge of the Internet. Valid American Heart Association ( AHA ) Basic Life Support certification for the Healthcare Provider at time of hire is required.
Does this position have supervisory responsibilities?
Previous hospital experience is preferred.
Deadline to Apply
University Community of Inclusion
The University of Kentucky is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce by ensuring all our students, faculty, and staff work in an environment of openness and acceptance. We strive to foster a community where people of all - identities, and perspectives can feel secure and welcome. We also value the well-being of each of our employees and are dedicated to creating a healthy place to work, learn and live. In the interest of maintaining a safe and healthy environment for our students, employees, patients and visitors the University of Kentucky is a Tobacco & Drug Free campus.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we strongly encourage veterans, individuals with disabilities, women, and all minorities to consider our employment opportunities.
Any candidate offered a position may be required to pass pre-employment screenings as mandated by University of Kentucky Human Resources. These screenings may include a national check and/or drug screen.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* Are you currently certified as a Kentucky State Registered Nursing Assistant?
* Do you have one of the following options: 1.) RN Nursing student who has completed the first clinical nursing course (class and clinical) of nursing school or 2.) A valid, current Kentucky State Registered Nursing Certificate (SRNA) or 3.) Experience as a military medic or 4.) active LPN license or 5.) Acquired Nursing Care Technician (NCT) competencies through continuous employment in a NCT role at University of Kentucky or 6.) for Emergency Department positions ONLY- Emergency Medical Technician Certificate (EMT)?
* Are you currently a Nursing Care Technician that works at UK Chandler or Good Samaritan Hospital?
* Please indicate the number of years of paid work experience you have as a Nursing Care Technician and/or a State Registered Nursing Assistant (SRNA) in which you were directly responsible for patient care in a hospital.
More than 0, up through 1 year
More than 1 year, up through 3 years
More than 3 years, up through 5 years
More than 5 years
* Please describe a difficult situation you handled successfully. (Open Ended Question)
* How much direct experience do you have using a computer (e.g. keyboarding, data entry, and e-mail)?
More than 0, up through 2 years
More than 2 years, up through 3 years
More than 3 years, up through 5 years
More than 5 years
* Do you have a Basic Life Support (BLS) certification or eligible to obtain by hire date?
* The University of Kentucky considers the health, safety and well-being of our entire community to be a top priority. In alignment with this priority, all new hires must provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination or obtain an approved medical or religious exemption as a condition of employment. For areas that fall under the federal CMS mandate, start of employment cannot occur until two weeks after receiving the full COVID-19 vaccination series or upon obtaining an approved exemption. Only vaccines approved by the World Health Organization can be accepted. I understand that I will be obligated to comply with the COVID-19 vaccination or exemption requirement prior to starting employment at the University of Kentucky.
* University of Kentucky HealthCare recognizes a set of values that guide us in our daily interactions. By applying for a position within UK Healthcare, you are indicating your commitment and expressing your agreement to our five values. These values are diversity, innovation, respect, compassion, and teamwork. Please choose one of the UK Healthcare values and give a specific example when you exhibited this quality in your professional experience. (Open Ended Question)
* University of Kentucky HealthCare seeks to attract, develop and retain highly skilled and competent employees, to provide the best experience for every patient, every time. If selected for a position, do you agree to abide by the UK HealthCare Values of diversity, innovation, respect, compassion, and teamwork?
* Where did you first see this position advertised?
UK Jobs Website
Military Connection Advertisement
"I'm Interested" page on Nurse Recruitment website
Diverseeducation.com (Diverse Issues in Higher Education)