The overall purpose of this position is to project manage the creation of effective and efficient governance and operations practices for the Technical Activities Board (TAB), its standing Committees, and the Societies/Technical Councils/Technical Communities reporting to TAB. This position will ensure that Technical Activities governance strategies, procedures, and activities are developed and delivered to enable volunteers to carry out their fiduciary responsibilities and to operate as high-performing leaders. This individual will develop programs to address new governance, operations and engagement requirements.
The individual will provide management and administration to the TAB Conflict Resolution Committee and the items delegated to technical activities through the IEEE Ethics Reporting process. This committee is a member-driven forum to provide advice, assistance, and mediation in resolving conflicts within TAB that fall outside normal management activities.
This position will report to the Sr. Manager, Volunteer Engagement and Business Programs while working within a matrixed management team that evaluates, develops, and implements governance practices and policy implementation for IEEE Technical Activities. The position does not have any direct reports but acts independently.
Strategic Governance – 40%
- Makes and implements strategic recommendations to TAB Governing documents, including the TAB Operations Manual, to address new governance and engagement requirements
- Reviews changes to the TAB Governing documents, including the TAB Operations Manual to ensure strategic alignment with TAB goals and objectives
- Coordinate projects, provides guidance and counsel, and develops material as needed for the TAB Vice President and TAB Parliamentarian
- Provides subject matter expertise on TAB processes and procedures as they relate to the structure, composition and delegation responsibilities within the Technical Activities organizational units.
Business Management – 40%
- Manages strategic initiatives, policy, procedure, and process development for the Technical Activities Board, its committees, and the department
- This position will serve as TAB's expert and point person for governance committees and staff regarding established professional ethics, conduct, and related governance policies, procedures, and best practices. The individual will provide management and administration to the TAB Conflict Resolution Committee (CRC).
- This position will program manage IEEE Compliance processes for Ethics and Conflict resolution within the Technical Activities Department
- This position will be responsible for coordinating IEEE vetting process within Technical Activities
Process development / improvement – 20%
- Develops TAB processes to support Records Management and archiving functions within company to ensure compliance with best practices and IEEE level requirements
- Identifies matters and procedures related to volunteer leadership on boarding, development, and volunteer engagement. Guides and partners with stakeholders and other groups in creating content or materials, as appropriate.
- Influences and effectively communicates with IEEE’s volunteer leaders and staff; facilitates problem-solving.
- Directs and manages other activities and projects as assigned to accomplish the Technical Activities Board goals
Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience in related field Req
7-10 years Req
Licenses and Certifications
Certified Association Executive (CAE) Pref
Registered Parliamentarian Pref
Project Management Professional (PMP) Pref
Skills and Requirements
Must demonstrate a strong commitment to fostering a work environment built on trust, professionalism, strategic thinking, and agility
Must be a patient, effective communicator who is able to establish and maintain relationships
Demonstrated aptitude for effectively and efficiently working with volunteer leaders and staff for high-impact results
Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously with changing priorities, meet deadlines, and work cross-functionally to successfully guide them to completion
Ability to effectively provide guidance and present recommendations
Ability to excel in a fast-moving work environment among a diverse team, as well as, independently
Must be committed to diversity and inclusion, be culturally sensitive, and adaptive to differing business environments
Possesses excellent verbal, written, organizational skills and strict attention to detail
Must demonstrate the highest degree of professionalism when dealing with sensitive and/or confidential matters; maintains confidentiality and have the highest integrity standards
Must have a positive, proactive work ethic
Must be a technologically savvy worker who seeks out solutions to business challenges
Mastery of Microsoft Office programs required and mastery of Google Apps for Business preferred
Must be able to work during weekends and/or evenings as necessary
Ability to travel 15% of the year outside of the local region with valid travel credentials
For information on work demands and conditions required for this position, please consult the reference document, "Physical, Mental, and Work Environment Standards for IEEE Positions." This position is classified under Category I - Office Positions.
IEEE is an EEO/AAP Employer/Protected Veteran/Disabled
Disclaimer: This job description is proprietary to IEEE. It outlines the general nature and key features performed by various positions that share the same job classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties and qualifications required of all employees assigned to the job. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or re-assign duties to this job at any time due to reasonable accommodations or other business reasons.