Posted in Other 14 days ago.
If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.
The University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.
With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful mission to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.
The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.
Job Family: Clinical and Allied Health
Job Function: Clinical Services
FLSA Status: Exempt
General Description (Purpose and Function):
Primary responsibility includes planning, organizing and directing the overall operation of Immunology and Histocompatibility Laboratory (IHL) Transplant Services. Responsibilities include providing specialized histocompatibility and immunomonitoring services, as well as specialized anatomic pathology services (transplant pathology, renal pathology, immunopathology) at the IHL for all University of Miami Medical Group (UMMG), University of Miami Hospitals and Clinics (UMHC), Jackson Health System and affiliated facilities, and clients of the IHL (e.g., LAORA). The successful candidate will oversee all related test performance of serology, virology, and histocompatibility. Additional responsibilities includes recognizing results or problems that require referral to outside laboratories or consultants, assuring competency of all personnel, formulating and maintaining IHL budget guidelines, participating in CQI activities and maintaining efficient/effective departmental operations in compliance with all state, federal, and local regulatory laws, standards and protocols.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
Job responsibilities include participation in clinical and educational activities as they relate to the Division and the Department of Surgery with a special emphasis as follows:
• Make daily rounds throughout the laboratory
• Be familiar with all disciplines within the clinical laboratory
• Serve as a liaison between the medical staff & clinical laboratory scientists
• Be accessible to the laboratory staff to provide onsite, telephone or electronic consultation as needed on a 24 x 7 basis.
• Develop and maintain an effective working relationship with laboratory management. Attend their meetings and actively participate. Assist them in setting goals, objectives, policies and procedures. Advise in the acquisition of capital equipment.
• Ensure the laboratory has sufficient qualified personnel with adequate documented training to meet workload demands
• Build a strong team, delegate authority and hold people accountable
• Ensure that managers and supervisors have sufficient experience and expertise to lead their sections of the clinical laboratory
• Interview candidates for management and supervisory positions in the laboratory
• Promote a safe laboratory environment for personnel and other occupants
• Assist in growing pathology and laboratory business by developing new and maintaining existing clients
• Review all new laboratory procedures and participate in the biennial review of procedures
• Establish a method evaluation protocol and review data prior to implementation of new methods and analyzers
• Ensure that the laboratory monitors and evaluates the quality and appropriateness of services rendered within the context of the quality assurance program of the institution.
• Assure quality of laboratory results by reviewing quality control, proficiency surveys & patient data. Attend Performance Improvement committee meetings.
• Review the quality assurance/quality management report on a regular basis
• Ensure that the laboratory is enrolled in proficiency surveys for all analytes, thoroughly investigate discrepant results and document corrective action
• Review all incorrect proficiency test results and implement corrective actions.
• Periodically review patient results to determine that medically reliable data is being generated.
• Promptly investigate laboratory errors and develop an action plan to prevent future occurrences
• Ensure that pathology and laboratory comply with all current accreditation and regulatory agencies such as ASHI,CLIA, FDA, JCAHO, and state.
• Ensure that the laboratory maintains a constant state of inspection readiness and is prepared for unannounced inspections by accrediting agencies
• Ensure the cost-effectiveness of the clinical laboratory by discontinuing obsolete tests, evaluating requests for new tests and reviewing orders for esoteric tests.
• Determine which tests should be performed in-house and which ones should be sent out.
• Review send-out tests on a semi-annual basis to determine if tests should be in-sourced
• Evaluate all requests for point of care tests and ensure they are medically necessary
• Compare performance of point of care tests with tests performed in the laboratory
• Maintain constant open-ended communication
• Serve as an active member of the medical staff and participate in medical school committees.
• Provide consultation to referring physicians in a timely manner regarding:
Ø Inclusion of appropriate tests in clinical order sets and deletion of unnecessary tests
Ø Interpretation of esoteric laboratory test results
Ø Investigation of discrepant or unexpected results
Ø Determination of which tests should be included in critical value lists
• Educate the medical staff, house staff, medical students and nurses about significant changes in laboratory operations
• Oversee charting of laboratory test results in the laboratory information system and electronic medical record to facilitate appropriate test ordering and results interpretation
• Determine if lab test turnaround times are meeting the needs of the medical staff.
Education and Research
• Be a lifelong learner and stay abreast of new developments in laboratory medicine
• Provide educational direction for the medical laboratory staff and participate in educational programs of the institution as appropriate
• Support medical laboratory scientist training programs and promote your laboratory as an optimal place of employment
• Oversee the laboratory's participation in clinical research studies
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Education Requirements (Essential Requirements):
• M.D., or M.D./Ph.D Degree from an accredited medical school.
• Board certification in Anatomic and/or Clinical Pathology required
• Board certification in Histocompatibility not required but potentially desirable
Work Experience Requirements (Essential Requirements):
Requires a minimum of 7 years of lab director experience. Familiar with standard concepts, practices, and procedures within the field of anatomical pathology, Histocompatibility, Clinical Pathology (particularly, serology, virology, flow cytometry, clinical molecular and mass spec assays, Core Lab Service) and lab administration.
You will be expected to support the Immunology and Histocompatibility Laboratory (IHL) in all aspects of the service lines, including teaching, research, and clinical care. Your duties will include providing specialized histocompatibility and immunomonitoring services, as well as specialized anatomic pathology services (transplant pathology, renal pathology, immunopathology) at the IHL for all University of Miami Medical Group (UMMG), University of Miami Hospitals and Clinics (UMHC), Jackson Health System and affiliated facilities, and clients of the IHL (e.g., LAORA). To perform coverage of the histocompatibility areas, you must immediately enroll in and successfully complete the 24 month training program to achieve ASHI certification as an HLA Lab Director (Director-in-Training Program); this training program will be accomplished concomitantly with the other aforementioned duties and responsibilities. Duties will also include 50% on-call coverage for all areas of service delivery and participation in administrative and quality aspects of the IHL . You must also establish a track record of publishing in peer-reviewed journals and apply for extramural funding as counseled by your Division Chief and Department Chair. Your anticipated effort distribution consists of 95% clinical activity and 5% mission based education and research endeavor.
The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, tuition remission and more.
UHealth-University of Miami Health System, South Florida's only university-based health system, provides leading-edge patient care powered by the ground breaking research and medical education at the Miller School of Medicine. As an academic medical center, we are proud to serve South Florida, Latin America and the Caribbean. Our physicians represent more than 100 specialties and sub-specialties, and have more than one million patient encounters each year. Our tradition of excellence has earned worldwide recognition for outstanding teaching, research and patient care. We're the challenge you've been looking for.
Patient safety is a top priority. As a result, during the Influenza ("the flu") season (September through April), the University Of Miami Miller School Of Medicine requires all employees who provide ongoing services to patients, work in a location (all Hospitals and clinics) where patient care is provided, or work in patient care or clinical care areas, to have an annual influenza vaccination. Failure to meet this requirement will result in rescinding or termination of employment.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.
Amerijet International, Inc.
Amerijet International, Inc.