Director, Employee Benefits
at Segal Group Inc
Posted in Human Resources about 1 month ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: New York, New York
For nearly 80 years, Segal has been providing employee benefits, retirement plan investment advisory and human resources consulting for multiemployer trust funds, corporations and public sector organizations. Segal is an independent, privately and employee-owned firm. Our independence allows us to provide unbiased consulting services for our clients. Headquartered in New York City, Segal has offices throughout the United States and in Canada. We are a smaller organization that provides a more intense and broader exposure for development purposes within a culture that is highly collegial and team-oriented. You will work with colleagues who are smart, professional, talented and...nice people. We offer a competitive pay and benefits package that includes a defined benefit and matching 401(k) retirement plans.
The Director, Employee Benefits (“Director”) reports to the Chief Human Resources Officer (CHRO) and is responsible for the overall design, implementation, management and communication of the Company’s Retirement and Health & Welfare employee benefit programs. The Director ensures that the Company’s employee benefits programs support the organization’s strategic objectives, are competitive and meets all budgetary and legal requirements. The Director achieves the objectives of his/her role through collaboration with the CHRO, Management, internal Segal Consultants and external vendor relationships as needed. The Director relies on extensive experience and judgement to plan and accomplish goals, and leads and directs a staff of three. The Director also performs as the Secretary to the Board of Trustees.
Key Responsibilities: Responsible for the strategy and administration of the Company’s employee benefit programs including but not limited to: retirement plans; medical dental, vision; life insurance plans; temporary disability programs; and wellness programs. Role includes but may not be limited to:
- Managing the necessary tasks involved with annual benefit/insurance renewals, union changes and open enrollment activities.
- Supervising the maintenance of enrollment and claims records for all employees; advises and counsels management and employees on existing benefits.
- With Legal and Segal benefits consultant advice, preparing and executing benefits documentation, such as original and amended plan texts, benefit agreements and insurance policies. Instructing insurance carriers, trustees and other administrative agencies outside the Company to effect changes in benefits programs.
- Ensuring Company compliance with provisions of the Employee Retirement Income Security Act and the Affordable Care Act. Supervising the preparation of reports and applications required by law to be filed with federal and state agencies. Reviewing and analyzing changes to state and federal laws pertaining to benefits, and reports necessary or suggested changes to management.
- Evaluating and analyzing the benefit market comparing Company benefits with those of other employers, including competitors.
- Developing specifications and budgets for recommended plan design changes or modifications to existing plans in order to maintain the Company’s competitive position and to achieve uniformity in benefits packages for all Company locations and businesses where possible.
- Preparing all communications including but not limited to: RFP’s, negotiation of vendor contracts, announcement materials to employees, plan documents, SPD’s and Web materials.
- Developing benefits information and statistical data for actuaries, insurance carriers and management.
- Liaisoning with Payroll to resolve payroll interface issues, 401(k) funding issues, year-end reports, non-qualified entries, etc. Liaisoning with Finance on pension general ledger issues, non-qualified transactions, and historical information.
Affirmative Action/Diversity Inclusion at Segal:
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 10+ years of demonstrated expertise in the employee benefit field including all aspects of Health & Welfare benefits and their administration and compliance, retirement benefits both qualified and non-qualified plan administration and regulations.
- Ability to partner with Senior Leadership to develop strategies to achieve organizational goals.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (i.e., Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and HM systems. Oracle Fusion experience a plus.
- Demonstrated quantitative and analytical skills.
- Strong project management skills; ability to manage multiple projects as the same time.
- Ability to create a workplace environment that fosters collaboration, quality and excellence.
- Effective communication (oral/written) skills with ability to develop rapport with and positively influence a diverse audience.
At Segal, we are committed to a culture of diversity and inclusiveness, as demonstrated through our recruitment, retention and employee development programs. We maintain an environment that respects and builds on the assets and talents of each person, valuing their differences. We also engage in good faith efforts to maintain an environment free from discrimination and harassment in strict compliance with applicable laws, and consider all qualified candidates for employment without regard to their race/ethnicity, national origin, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability or medical condition, protected veteran or military status, criminal record history, marital status, or status in any group or class protected by applicable federal, state or local law. We also engage in affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified women, minorities, disabled individuals and protected veterans. Maintaining a diverse and inclusive workforce is a win/win, and provides Segal with the opportunity to leverage our top talent to provide innovative solutions to our clients.
Signup for an account
to get information on applying for a job.