Agriculture Field Inspector Level 2 - Portland, OR at SGS North America
Posted in Compliance 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by America's Job Exchange
Type: Full Time
Location: Portland, Oregon
* Responsible for inspecting samples coming into the ports and/or laboratory.
* Also, required to perform onsite inspections (sampling and grading) at loading/discharge facilities.
* Carry out inspection and testing activities in compliance with contractual requirements and within competence and safety limits
FIELD OPERATIONS MANAGER
* In addition, responsible for all FI 1 - Level 1 (Field Inspector) assignments:
o Bagged Goods Sampling
o Operation of sampling and grain handling equipment
o Weight supervisions and check weighing
o Stowage examinations of all land and water carriers, fit to receive cargos
o Non subjective quality parameters in all grains (Moisture, test weight, foreign material, dockage.
* FI 2 - Level 2 (Junior) Field Inspector Responsibilities:
o Mycotoxin testing, Aflatoxin, fumonisin, vomitoxin
o Falling Numbers
o IP Protocol Cargos
o Grain grading: Demonstrated proficiency in USDA grading techniques for the following Grains Corn and Soybeans
* Proficiency in Grading Grain per USDA/FGIS Standards
* Conduct testing and/or analysis on various grains including Corn, Wheat, Sorghum, Soybeans
* Exposure to Gauging/Sampling and calculating of Vegetable Oil Products per FOSFA Requirements.
* Proficient in most of the assignments above with the ability to effectively train the entry level and level 1 assignment.
* Capable of handling multiple products, recognize and resolve field related problems.
* Work closely with client s representatives, government representatives,
* May be assigned and coordinate special or ad hoc projects as needed.
* Physically measure, weigh, sample and take temperatures (where applicable) of a variety of agricultural products in accordance with applicable standards and procedures.
* Calculate the transferred quantities (where applicable) and perform a full reconciliation of same.
* Carrying out the analysis of the different grains, splitting the samples to speed the process for the Grain Graders.
* Transporting samples from the terminals to the office and vice versa.
* Basic laboratory testing of samples without the supervision of their direct Supervisor.
* Ensuring detailed notes are taken throughout the inspection process.
* Inspection/sampling of containers and Rail Cars at different locations.
* Supervise loading and count of such agricultural products in accordance with applicable standards and procedures.
* Reporting of all required field activities as per National/Regional field forms.
* Maintain regular communication with administrative staff with reference to job status, progress, problems, etc.
* Stay abreast and adhere to latest industry and client procedures which are provided by the area Manager/Operations Supervisor/Dispatcher or administrative staff.
* At all times, adopt a safe behavior by exercising due regard for the health and safety of SGS employees and clients, in line with SGS policies and procedures.
* At all times, comply with SGS Code of Integrity and Professional Conduct.
* SGS is the world s leading inspection, verification, testing and Certification Company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With 75,000 employees, SGS operates a network of more than 1,700 offices and laboratories around the world. This position would be based in our New Orleans office.
REQUIRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
* A minimum of a High School diploma or equivalent is required.
* 24 Month of previous experience in grain or oil inspections and/or grain grading is required.
* Proven training or leadership ability is preferred.
* Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with subordinates, peers, management, external customers and the public.
* Proven ability to manage and coordinate multiple projects in a fast paced, highly professional environment.
* Candidates must be proficient in using various type of computer software (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc).
* Must possess and maintain a valid driver s license as travel to various client sites is required.
* Must be able to work flexible and long hours (up to 12 hours per day) around shipping schedules (days, nights, weekends and holidays).
* Must be flexible to travel on occasion as needed (up to 7 days).
* Must be able to follow work instructions in a safe, accurate and timely manner.
* Proven time management skills and a strong attention to detail.
* Demonstrates good verbal and written communication skills including grammar and composition.
* Ability to work well with others and independently.
* Works well under pressure.
* Positive team spirit
* Ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment when necessary.
* Must be able to lift and carry 25 pounds.
* Must have the credit ability to apply and get approved for a corporate credit card.
* In addition, must have TWIC Card to work on port or eligible to apply for a TWIC Card.
HEALTH & SAFETY GUIDELINES
* Demonstrates strong commitment to SGS HSE Policies, Procedures, and Work Instructions by participating in safety meetings, completing required training, intervening in unsafe situations, refusing unsafe work, and complying fully with all applicable laws and regulations related to HSE.
* Responds appropriately to emergency situations and assists other staff members in maintaining readiness to respond to emergencies within the workplace.
* In accordance with the SGS HSE Management System requirements, disposes of, or directs the disposal of, waste generated as a part of daily work performed in a safe manner and in compliance with all waste transportation and disposal regulations and requirements.
* Reports all incidents (actual incidents and near misses) in accordance with the SGS Incident Reporting requirements.
* Uses all equipment (including safety equipment) in the manner intended and reports any damaged / lost equipment to supervisor.
* Maintain a safe and tidy worksite.
* Maintains awareness of hazards and proposes controls to supervisor, HSE Representatives or relevant client / site contact.
* Actively participates in incident investigations and risk assessments as deemed necessary by SGS management.