Senior Network Engineer at Harvard University
Posted in Other 29 days ago.
This job brought to you by Local Organization
Location: Cambridge, MassachusettsJob Description:
Duties & Responsibilities
Harvard University Information Technology (HUIT) is a community of Information Technology professionals committed to understanding our users and devoted to making it easier for faculty, students, and staff to teach, research, learn, and work through the effective use of information technology. We are recruiting an IT workforce that has both breadth in their ability to collaborate and innovate across disciplines - and depth in specific areas of expertise. HUIT offers opportunities for IT professionals to learn and work in a unique technology landscape and service-focused environment. If you are a technically proficient, nimble, user-focused and accountable IT professional who also connects with the importance of collaborating well in a team environment we are looking for you!
The Senior Network Engineer spends the majority of their time on network operations project management, from leading smaller lifecycle upgrades to supporting larger engineering/architecture projects. Consults with the customers on scope of work and builds a proposal with bill of materials for the project. Works to secure customer approval, builds a schedule and works with the vendors to order product. Direct the technicians on project processes and requirements. Manages the workflow of the project through to completion. Provides ongoing technical, and customer support for the campus wide data network consisting of twelve schools, over 700 departments, and more than 20,000 users. Serves as the primary escalation point for network operations, and as the primary technical liaison between operations and engineering. Other responsibilities include monitoring the network for performance issues or outages, proactively recommending preventive maintenance, adjusting ACLs and firewalls, providing support for VPN, switch configuration, documentation updates, communication and notification, and all other level II troubleshooting and support. Participates in 24x7x365 on-call rotation. Some off-hours work may be required as needed and other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor's degree or at least 8 years of progressively responsible experience in network engineering arena
• Hands-on experience with most of the items listed; OSI model layers one through three, switching technologies, Aruba/HP OS, ClearPass, Airwave wireless, Cisco IOS, FortiOS, Spanning Tree, OSPF, Wireshark packet analysis, DNS, & DHCP.
• Must possess strong understanding of the physical building blocks of a network, and general knowledge of network design.
• Proven problem solving skills, strong attention to detail, and quality-focused customer service orientation required.
• Ability to communicate effectively with all levels within the organization, including network architect, engineers, desktop technicians, service desk, building superintendents, and consultants.
• Excellent technical writing skills and strong interpersonal communications skills
• Experience leading/mentoring a small technical team on network projects.
• The successful candidate will possess both strong technical skills and a service mindset.
• CCNA/CCNP certification or equivalent Aruba certification is a plus.
• Physical Requirements: Position requires continuous walking around campus and standing in confined spaces for extended time periods as well as the ability to lift 40lbs.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.