Connector Design Specialist (Austin, TX) at 3M
Posted in Design 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Austin, Texas
3M is seeking a Connector Design Specialist for the Electronics Materials Solutions Division (EMSD), located in Austin, TX.
Job Summary: The person hired for the position of Connector Design Specialist will be responsible for the design, fabrication, commercialization, support and maintenance of interconnect products that may include optical and electrical connectors, as well as packaging components for photonic devices.
For additional information, please visit: https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/interconnect-us/
Primary Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Leads the design, fabrication and commercialization of optical and electrical connectors
- Implements new, leading and innovative connector designs to provide differentiated performance
- Determines external competitive and technology environment in order to guide design approach
- Supports larger project teams utilizing above connectors and provides other related design support
- Willingness to commit to periods of intense activity to meet critical customer deadlines
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in an Engineering or Science discipline from an accredited university
- Minimum of three (3) years of combined experience designing electronic and/or optical interconnect components
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Mechanical Engineering or related discipline from an accredited university
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience with commercial 3D solid modeling/CAD tools, including Unigraphics NX
- Thorough understanding of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing
- Experience performing mechanical or multi-physics Finite Element Analysis (FEA) simulations in ANSYS and/or Abaqus
- Familiarity with interconnect test standards (e.g. Telcordia, EIA, IEC, iNEMI, etc.)
- Experience of design for manufacturability
- Experience with rapid prototyping technologies
- Experience of designing for injection molding
- Experience with sheet metal fabrication, component assembly
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Location: Austin, TX
Travel: May include up to 25% domestic
Relocation: Is authorized
See job description.