Engineer – PV Plant Performance II at First Solar Electric LLC
Posted in Architecture 16 days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Tempe, Arizona
Our high growth and leadership position in the renewable energy business offers outstanding opportunities to individuals seeking an exciting work environment in one of the most important industries for the 21st century. First Solar is a leader in the development and manufacturing of thin film solar modules used in grid-connected solar power plants, as well as a provider of complete solar generation solutions for U.S. utilities. Our culture is one where teamwork, continuous improvement, achievement of results, and environmental responsibility are core values. We are seeking new associates who are motivated to contribute their talents to making cost-effective solar energy an important part of the world’s energy mix.
Primary Job Functions:
Basic Job Functions:
The O&M Power Systems Engineer II will play a key role in assisting the Manager- Power Plant Operations in assuring maximum production and profitability for O&M Power Plants. This position will lead all troubleshooting, reporting, engineering projects and be subject matter expert for all Operations systems to include but not limited to SCADA, PV Tools and energy forecasting for all assets under First Solar O&M contracts from development to retirement of solar assets.
• 6-8 years experience in power plant operations with high voltage experience; combination of education and experience will be considered in lieu of 6 years of experience
• Experience using analytical software to analyze equipment performance and identify performance issues
• Familiarity with NERC, WECC and CAISO regulations
• Experience with technical contracts and agreements
• Experience remotely monitoring and evaluating power plant components
• Bachelor‘s degree Electrical Engineering
• Master‘s Degree Preferred
• Knowledge of basic electrical principles; familiarity with DC and AC electrical concepts
• Proven knowledge of PV performance and operations optimization analysis methods
• Proven skills in problem solving and troubleshooting
• SQL Proficient
• Must be able to read and interpret electrical schematics
• Must understand protective relay schemes
• Must understand networks and control systems
• Proven technical knowledge of power plant systems and processes
• Ability to communicate clearly with individuals and groups of various levels of knowledge
• Strong Organizational Skills, and motivation to work independently and in a team setting
• Proficient use of all Microsoft Office Suite programs
• Ability to take direction, identify problems, develop solutions, conduct analysis independently and in collaboration with others
• Ability to work in challenging customer situations
• Ability to troubleshoot and resolve complex problems associated with sites in operation
• Ability to develop reports using live and historical data
• Experience working with SCADA and computerized maintenance management systems (Maximo) and other systems to troubleshoot plant issues.
• Knowledge of Power Factor/Voltage Control systems
• Ability to devlope technical procedures and processes
• Familiarity with regulatory operating and reporting requirements ie FERC/NERC/WECC etc
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
• Maintain Power Plant Energy Forecasting configuration
• Maintain Power Plant Availability Forecasting configuration
• Conduct routine validation checks of energy/availability forecasts
• Calculate and implement GADS reliability metrics as per IEEE 762 standards
• Relate GADS metrics and Effective availability guarantee
• Collaborate with Manager – Power Plant Operations in developing business metrics such as Fault time to restoration, de-rate reporting accuracy, diagnosis validation, etc
• Collaborate with System Developers to continuously improve Operation’s technical tools and systems
• Coordinate with Systems Support & Planning/Scheduling to ensure Outages and Downtimes are properly associated with work orders.
• Subject Matter Expert for O&M software tools including Maximo, PlantView, PV Tools, Wonderware, Energy Forecasting, Control System etc.
• Critical plant systems monitoring and analysis including relating to critical systems & components, operating envelopes in SCADA, parameters, setpoints etc.
• Develop and implement processes and procedures to assure compliance with contractual obligations
• Perform weekly outage classification reviews to meet contractual requirements and ensure that customer Liquidated Damages or First Solar Bonus Payments are accurate
• Collaborate with Systems Support Teams including Planning/Scheduling, Metrics & Reporting, CMMS (Maximo), Standards & Training to maximize our effectiveness in the field and optimize our contracts
• Collaborate with Performance Engineering and Maintenance Engineering Teams to optimize fleet utilization and reliability.
• Verify test results and monitor data for plausibility and quality and ensure the quality of test data through conscientious test set-up, execution, and documentation.
• Support the development and continuous improvement of test and inspection procedures
• Participate in meetings where presentation of data may be required
• Maintain effective verbal and written communication
• Other duties as assigned
• Job Description subject to change at any time
• Will sit, stand or walk short distances for up to the entire duration of a shift
• Will climb stairs on an occasional basis
• Will lift, push or pull up to 27 pounds on an occasional basis
• Required to use hands to grasp, lift, handle, carry or feel objects on a frequent basis
• 20/40 vision in each eye, with or without correction, is required
• Must be able to comply with all safety standards and procedures
• May reach above shoulder heights and below the waist on a frequent basis
• May stoop, kneel, or bend, on an occasional basis
• Ability to wear personal protective equipment is required (including but not limited to; steel toed shoes, gloves, safety glasses, hearing protection, protective jacket or apron and arm guards)
• All associates working on the production floor may be required to wear a respirator at any given time and thus, the ability to wear a respirator is a condition of employment and continued employment (requires little or no facial hair)
Please note: potential candidates will meet the education and experience requirements provided on the above job description and excel in completing the listed responsibilities for this role. All candidates receiving an offer of employment must successfully complete a background check, pre-employment drug screen, and any other test that may be required for the role.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement: First Solar Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
ExperiencePower Plant Operations
EducationBachelor of Electrical Engineering (Required), Masters
Potential candidates will meet the education and experience requirements provided on the above job description and excel in completing the listed responsibilities for this role. All candidates receiving an offer of employment must successfully complete a background check, pre-employment drug screen, and any other test that may be required for the role.Potential candidates will meet the education and experience requirements provided on the above job description and excel in completing the listed responsibilities for this role. All candidates receiving an offer of employment must successfully complete a background check, pre-employment drug screen, and any other test that may be required for the role.