Technical Writer II at DRS Technologies
Posted in Writing/Editing 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Fort Walton Beach, Florida
Leonardo DRS is a leading supplier of integrated products, services and support to military forces, intelligence agencies and prime contractors worldwide. Focused on defense technology, we develop, manufacture and support a broad range of systems for mission critical and military sustainment requirements, as well as homeland security.
Headquartered in Arlington, VA, the Company is a wholly owned subsidiary of Leonardo S.p.A. which employs more than 70,000 people worldwide. We offer a competitive compensation package and a business culture, which rewards performance. For additional information on DRS, please visit our website at www.drs.com.
DRS Training & Control Systems (TCS), Fort Walton Beach, FL, provides engineering, manufacturing, and support of defense and aerospace systems for sea, land, air, and space use. Our product and service areas include electronic control and monitoring systems, aerospace material handling systems, simulation and training systems, aerospace support equipment, contract manufacturing, engineering, and product support. In addition, DRS TCS has contract logistics support operations domestically as well as in Europe and the Middle East.
Job Location Fort Walton Beach, Florida
Title: Technical Writer II
Draft or makes revision to technical documentation, such as equipment manuals, appendices, or operating and maintenance instructions. Produce layouts for publication.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Draft or makes revision to technical documentation, such as equipment manuals, appendices, operating and maintenance instructions, maintenance plans, and training documentation.
- Analyze developments in specific field to determine need for revisions in previously published materials and development of new material
- Confer with customer representatives, vendors, plant executives, or publisher to establish technical specifications and to determine subject material to be developed for publication
- Produce layouts for publication
- Arrange for validation, duplication, and distribution of material
- May draw sketches to illustrate specified materials or assembly sequence
- Edit and improve material prepared by other writers or establishment personnel
- Become familiar with product technologies and production methods
- Observe production, developmental, and experimental activities to determine operating procedure and detail
- Organize material and complete writing assignment according to set standards regarding order, clarity, conciseness, style, and terminology
- Review manufacturer's and trade catalogs, drawings and other data relative to operation, maintenance, and service of equipment
- Review published materials and recommend revisions or changes in scope, format, content, and methods of reproduction and binding
- Select photographs, drawings, sketches, diagrams, and charts to illustrate material
- Study drawings, specifications, mockups, and product samples to integrate and delineate technology, operating procedure, and production sequence and detail
- Support, communicate, reinforce and defend the mission, values and culture of the organization
- Associates Degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- 2+ years’ experience required
- Should have a fundamental knowledge in desktop publishing software, and be proficient in applications such as Microsoft Office products (MS Word, MS Excel, and MS PowerPoint required)
- Knowledge and experience with Arbortext, and SGML/XML tagging desired.
- Knowledge of Visio, CorelDraw, Corel Photo Paint, and Inkscape a plus.
Leonardo DRS is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We consider applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital or veteran status, or any other category protected by federal, state or local law. #AIS