Sr Engineer – Electronics Systems / Research and Technology Development at Illumina, Inc.
Posted in Architecture 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Foster City, California
Do you want to make a difference? Illumina’s mission is to improve human health by unlocking the power of the genome. If that inspires you, let’s talk. We’ve built a culture fueled by innovation, collaboration and openness, and established ourselves as the global leader in DNA sequencing and array-based technologies. Our people and our technology change lives by driving advancements in life sciences, oncology, reproductive health, agriculture and other emerging markets. Life at Illumina is about working with teammates who are deeply passionate about what we do, because we know that our work has the power to improve lives. We’re an established company with a track record of phenomenal growth. Just check out our investor events and presentations to learn about our financial accomplishments. Our growth isn’t just in financials, we’ve been busy hiring the best and the brightest. Perhaps that’s why MIT has ranked Illumina near the top of its World’s Smartest Companies each of the last three years. If you thrive in a brilliant, fast-paced, and mission-driven environment, Illumina is the place for you. Join the journey of a lifetime. Join Illumina.
We are looking for a talented and experienced engineer to join the Electronics Systems group as part of the Research and Technology Development organization at Illumina. The position involves conducting scientific research towards development of the next-generation sequencing platforms as well as working with external vendors. We are seeking candidates with significant knowledge and experience in rapid prototyping of platforms for biological assays, semiconductor fabrication/packaging, hardware design, systems integration and optical/electrical biosensors.
- Design modules integrating electrical, mechanical and fluidic/microfluidic components
- Drive design and fabrication of prototype devices and instruments for biological assays through working in a cleanroom environment, chemistry lab and/or working with leading semiconductor manufacturing/ packaging companies
- Manage external vendor relationships and work closely with the internal teams for realization of product concepts
- Driving day-to-day nucleic acid biochemistry and biophysics experiments to develop and validate new concepts and devices for bio-molecule detection, extraction, quantification and sensing
- PhD or MSc in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering or a closely related discipline
- Significant industry or academic experience (Minimum 4+ years) in developing instruments including driving design, prototyping, implementation, integration and validation of product concepts
- Vendor management experience preferably in frontend/backend Si fabrication, electronic packaging, mechanical design and fluidic integration
- Hands-on experience working with optical or electrical sensors and their system-level design and integration
- Strong theoretical knowledge of and experience working with optical systems, electronic circuits and microfluidic systems
- Solid theoretical understanding of semiconductor/MEMS industry, semiconductor fabrication and characterization tools and semiconductor packaging
- Technical Team leadership and functional management experience highly desirable
- Familiarity with nucleic acid biochemistry, sample extraction and library preparation highly advantageous
- Hands-on experience running biological assays a plus
Illumina believes that everyone has the ability to make an impact, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, creed, color, gender, religion, marital status, domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, pregnancy, military or veteran status, citizenship status, and genetic information.
Illumina believes that everyone has the ability to make an impact, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, creed, color, gender, religion, marital status, domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, pregnancy, military or veteran status, citizenship status, and genetic information. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at 858-255-5081. To learn more, visit: https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf