Operations & Maintenance Technician I (Coater) at Metropolitan Water District Southern California
Posted in Other 20 days ago.
Type: Full Time
Location: La Verne, California
The Metropolitan Water District of Southern California is a consortium of twenty-six cities and water districts that provides drinking water to nearly 19 million people in Southern California. Metropolitan's mission is to provide its service area with adequate and reliable supplies of high quality water to meet current and future needs in an environmentally and economically responsible way. Metropolitan's facilities include the 242-mile Colorado River Aqueduct, five conventional water treatment plants with a combined capacity of 2.6 billion gallons per day, nine surface water reservoirs, 800 miles of pipeline, and 16 hydroelectric power plants.
O&M TECHNICIAN I (Coater)
The Water System Operations Group has one (1) opening for an O&M Technician I (Coater) within the Manufacturing Services Unit located at Metropolitan's Weymouth Facility in La Verne, California.
Learns coating skills, experience and knowledge in the practices, procedures, and methods of surface preparation and the use of varied materials and tools, ensures effective application of protective coatings on a wide range of Metropolitan assets, equipment, facilities and related components
Assists with performing practices and procedures of substrate preparation and coating applications to protect a wide variety of water utility systems, assets, equipment and appurtenances including valves, pipelines, feeders, gates, substructures and related water delivery assets prone to corrosion and wear.
Assists with coating tasks to effectively protect and improve a variety of structures and assets composed of varied metals, concrete, wood or polymers as well as contemporary composites or other similar materials. Coater I's support the operational core of water and power reliability by effectively meeting or exceeding customer expectations through basic coating practices applied to maintain, stabilize or improve the quality of equipment within treatment plants, conveyance and distribution facilities, shops and other occupied and unoccupied structures.
* Assists with general surface preparation and coating PMs, CMs and improvements to protect varied water utility assets, equipment, parts, structures and related systems from the degradation of corrosion and wear, and to enhance operational reliability and capacity.
* Assists with general substrate preparation and treatment for effective coating adhesion on a variety of materials in both shop and field environments by safely utilizing traditional hand as well as power tools and equipment such as scrapers, grinders, sanders, brushes, degreasers, cleaners, and sandblasting equipment.
* Assists with calibrating, testing and maintenance of supplied air breathing apparatus, as well as air monitoring equipment.
* Assists with the operation of coating application equipment such as high volume low pressure (HVLP), airless, electrostatic, powder coating and various types of injection pumps.
* Assists with identifying and utilizing appropriate media for safe and effective use in substrate preparation.
* Assists with safely mixing and preparing coating material including traditional and advanced materials such as paints and related thinners/vehicles of various types and viscosities, as well as epoxies, sealants, plastics, polymers and composite materials.
* Assists with completing accurate and timely regulatory records as required by the AQMD.
* Under close supervision, performs and/or assists with operating necessary equipment such as varied abrasive blasting and hand preparation tools, sprayers, associated compressors, scaffolds, ladders, lifts, three ton stationary cranes (non-mobile) and rigging or similar equipment to effectively complete preparation and coating work.
* Assists with, improvement, PM and CM activities on a variety of preparation and coating equipment such as sandblasters, sprayers, air monitoring equipment and similar equipment to ensure effective operation.
* Assists with general mechanical work related to the shutdown, inspection, and repairs to aqueducts, pipelines/treatment plants, or other operating facilities.
Education and Experience:
High school diploma or Certificate of High School Equivalency in addition to minimal experience with hand tools and power tools associated with industrial coating applications.
Required Knowledge of: Employees in this title are entry-level and learn skills through classroom and on-the-job training or they are obtaining the necessary experience working with higher-level Coaters to competently demonstrate:
Theories, practices, tools and materials of surface preparation and coating techniques and their application to water utility assets, equipment and parts, facilities, building construction, field and shop maintenance and repair work; the use of coating application equipment such as high volume low pressure (HVLP), airless, electrostatic, powder coating and various types of injection pumps in order to effectively apply industrial coating, and; the calibration, testing and maintenance on supplied air breathing apparatus and air monitoring equipment including gas monitoring and HEPA filtration systems; Federal, State and local codes and other regulations for all phases of coating preparation and application to ensure safe and effective handling of toxic substances to ensure environmental compliance; the application of a variety of coating media utilized in water utility and general industrial settings that provide effective equipment/asset integrity and protection; the set-up, assembly and removal of various scaffolds, lifts, buckets, cranes and rigging or similar work platforms necessary to complete work of the varied surfaces used in the water industry ranging from concrete, steel and other metal alloys, to wood and composite material; safety practices and regulations for operating mechanical and electrical equipment.
Required Skills and Abilities to: Assist in using and maintaining all equipment traditionally used in the abrasive blasting and coating/finishing trades in both a shop and field environment, and understand, read and interpret complex manuals and drawings including tool and media manufacturers' specifications related to coating work necessary to repair, rehabilitate and protect equipment, parts and structures or component systems from corrosion and/or wear.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES and REGISTRATIONS REQUIREMENTS
Employees in this position will be required to obtain and maintain the following certifications, licensing and registrations:
* Valid California Class C Driver's License or equivalent that allows you to drive in the course of your employment (required at time of application)
* Crane Certification
* Manlift Certification
* Forklift Certification
* Respirator Certification
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
Expectations of Hours of Service:
Employees in this position may be required to work off-shift hours to address operational needs and emergencies as required. May be required to work extended periods away from the normal reporting location. Requires participation in plant and system shutdowns.
Heavy tasks may require lifting and carrying items weighing up to 50 pounds, with intermittent need to lift and carry materials and/or equipment weighing up to 100 pounds with assistance. Frequently requires pushing, pulling, turning and positioning parts, assemblies, equipment and tools . . . To apply for this position, please copy and paste the following link into your browser address bar: http://www.respondhr.com/60201757