Operations & Maintenance Technician II (HVAC) at Metropolitan Water District Southern California
Posted in Other 16 days ago.
Type: Full Time
Location: La Verne, California
The Metropolitan Water District of Southern California is a consortium of twenty-six cities and water districts that provides drinking water to nearly 19 million people in Southern California. Metropolitan's mission is to provide its service area with adequate and reliable supplies of high quality water to meet current and future needs in an environmentally and economically responsible way. Metropolitan's facilities include the 242-mile Colorado River Aqueduct, five conventional water treatment plants with a combined capacity of 2.6 billion gallons per day, nine surface water reservoirs, 800 miles of pipeline, and 16 hydroelectric power plants.
OPERATIONS & MAINTENANCE TECHNICIAN II (HVAC)
The Water System Operations Group, Operations Support Services Section, Power Support Unit has one (1) opening for an Operations & Maintenance Technician II (HVAC) on the HVAC Team located at Metropolitan's Weymouth Facility in La Verne, California.
Learns and utilizes mechanical/electrical skills, experience, and knowledge in the practices, procedures, and methods of installing, improving, diagnosing, repairing and maintaining, both general and complex heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems.
Performs and/or assists with maintaining and improving a variety of systems including air distribution systems and machinery, heat exchangers, furnaces, hot/cold deck systems, and pneumatic and digital controls related to Metropolitan's buildings and facilities systems. Supports the operational core of water and power reliability by maintaining and improving the quality of working and operating environments within treatment plants, including ozone plants, conveyance and distribution buildings including shops, offices, occupied and unoccupied structures including communication sites and computer rooms, as well as residential and commercial systems.
Performs and/or assists with providing operational reliability, quality, capacity and energy efficiency of HVAC systems and output through a mix of general preventive and corrective maintenance skills to effectively meet or exceed customer expectations.
Performs and/or assists with HVAC tasks to support the operational core of water and power reliability by effectively maintaining and improving the quality of working and operating environments within treatment plants, including ozone plants, conveyance and distribution buildings including shops, offices, occupied and unoccupied structures including communication sites and computer rooms, as well as residential and commercial systems. Employees in this title provide operational reliability, quality, capacity and energy efficiency of HVAC systems and output through a mix of general preventive and corrective maintenance skills to effectively meet or exceed customer expectations.
1. Performs and/or assists with preventive and corrective maintenance on a variety of HVAC equipment, component parts and/or auxiliary units, including pneumatic and electronic controls to ensure working and operational environments necessary for effective facility use.
2. Performs and/or assists with troubleshooting HVAC problems and determine appropriate corrective action to eliminate equipment malfunctions and ensure effective HVAC service, output, and minimize equipment down time.
3. Performs and/or assists with PMs, and CMs and improvements on HVAC equipment such as varied compressors, pumps, boilers, generators, cooling towers, fan coils, louvers, dampers, filters, pneumatic and electronic controls, blowers, solenoids, humidistats, thermostats.
4. Performs and/or assists with fabricating and installing sheet metal ducting systems and registers to provide ongoing and necessary working and operating environmental aspects.
5. Performs and/or assists with PMs, and assists with CMs, and improvements on residential and commercial equipment and systems such as ice machines, and refrigeration units to maintain proper equipment operating conditions.
6. Performs and/or assists with the operation of heating and air conditioning equipment or auxiliary units according to manuals, directions, specifications or diagnostic indications to provide HVAC output at desired and acceptable levels.
7. Reads and interprets testing and monitoring equipment performance readings including energy usage information, control signaling and feedback, as well as a variety of system output measurements.
8. Performs and/or assists with installing new or rebuilt HVAC systems and equipment and perform initial start-up procedures to place into operation, including quality checks of various gauges and instruments, as well as ensure the equipment and systems have the proper levels of power, water, lubricants, refrigerants, and air pressure needed for effective start-up and operation.
9. Performs and/or assists with providing effective preventive maintenance on a wide range of equipment of varied age, including PM of consumable parts such as filters, belts, fluids and chemicals.
10. Performs and/or assists with routine electrical and electronic diagnosis, repairs and installation related to HVAC systems such as replacing relays, programmable logic controllers, circuits, varied controls, as well as energy conservation related systems to ensure effective operation and equipment life.
11. Performs and/or assists with identifying and fabricating parts needed to effectively complete PM, CM tasks associated with HVAC systems.
Education and Experience:
High school diploma or High School Equivalency Certificate in addition to a minimum 2 years of experience as demonstrated by practical application of techniques and practices specific to HVAC;
High school diploma or High School Equivalency Certificate and attainment of skills through a recognized HVAC trade training program and/or applicable related experience within an industrial environment.
Experience and knowledge as demonstrated by practical application of general techniques and practices specific to the inspection, diagnosis, repair and maintenance of HVAC and refrigeration equipment. Semi-skilled in mechanical, electrical, welding (brazing) and electronics.
Required Knowledge of: Employees in this title are semi-skilled and learn and utilize skills through classroom and on-the-job training or they are obtaining the necessary experience working with higher-level HVAC Technicians to competently demonstrate:
Theories, practices, tools and materials for the maintenance and repair of heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration systems, plumbing, electricity, electronics and mechanics, sheet metal fabrication, welding, water and lubricant analysis as it applies to the operation and maintenance of HVAC mechanical/electrical systems, controls and equipment, refrigerant recovery and recycling requirements of the Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) to ensure safe and effective handling of toxic substances to ensure environmental compliance, chemicals associated with parts and HVAC system cleaning such as coil cleaners and solvents, safe operating techniques and the occupational hazards of motorized or pneumatic equipment operation, and electrically energized HVAC components, and safety practices and regulations for maintaining and repairing HVAC equipment specific to craft being performed.
Required Skills and Abilities to:
* Perform and/or assist with . . . To apply for this position, please copy and paste the following link into your browser address bar: http://www.respondhr.com/60312355