Acquisitions Editor, Criminology at Springer Nature
Posted in Writing/Editing 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: New York, New York
Springer Nature is one of the world’s leading global research, educational and professional publishers. It is home to an array of respected and trusted brands and imprints, with more than 170 years of combined history behind them, providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services. Every day, around the globe, our imprints, books, journals and resources reach millions of people, helping researchers and scientists to discover, students to learn and professionals to achieve their goals and ambitions. The company has almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries.
We are actively recruiting for a seasoned, high potential Editor to join our Behavioral Sciences acquisitions team. The Editor will be responsible for a book and journal publishing program in the Criminology subject area. Under supervision of a Senior Editor and Editorial Director, the Editor researches, acquires, and publishes book and journal projects within selected disciplines (specifically Criminology and Criminal Justice) as well as managing an existing journal program. The Editor will focus on providing support on the following functions: market research; developing and maintaining a book program; acquiring and signing book authors; exploring commercial publishing opportunities in designated editorial areas; evaluating submitted manuscripts; participating in periodic journal RfPs.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Acquisitions activities: pursue an active and efficient acquisitions policy within the Criminology and Criminal Justice subject areas through correspondence, meetings/editorial travel, consulting advisors, and so forth, fo both books and journals.
- Prepare and present own projects to the satisfaction of senior management; presents own and other editors' titles at Marketing Conferences.
- Responsible for defining, maintaining, and advancing the company's accepted goals in terms of program growth and development within the discipline(s) assigned.
- Meet annual goals set by editorial management for book contracts signed, book manuscripts transmitted to production, and book titles published each year.
- Interact within the company with other acquisitions editors, production department, product managers, sales department, counterparts in Springer Nature offices abroad, and so forth. Monitors other departments' activities on behalf of the Editor's projects, and coordinates the Editor's program (whenever possible) with corresponding programs in other Springer Nature locations.
- Assume the following responsibilities on selected projects:
- Work with contracted authors and contributors to explain technical aspects of manuscript preparation
- Monitor schedule and technical quality of submitted manuscripts and art
- Resolves problems related to making material suitable for production
- Transmit manuscripts to production
- Conduct market and competitive research in support of and at the direction of editorial management
- Journal acquisition and management responsibilities:
- Oversee the smooth and timely publication of a list of journals published by Springer Nature
- Coordinate Editorial Board meetings, facilitates communication with the Editor-in-Chief and Editorial Board to ensure timely publication of issues each year
- Oversee journal contract renegotiation when called for including finding possible replacement EiCs for journals
- Look for journal acquisition or development possibilities in the field for Springer Nature
- Perform related duties as required.
- Bachelor's degree with at least 2-3 years of acquisitions publishing experience.
- Experience working with authors and editor in academic publishing is preferred.
- Familiarity with book and journal scholarly publishing processes is a plus.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills required.
- Must be willing to travel to conferences at least 3-5 times per year; some international travel is required.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD&D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours.
Springer Nature is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following EEO Is
The Law Poster: