Value Stream Manager at Buffalo-Wheatfield
Posted in Executive 14 days ago.
This job brought to you by Local Organization
Type: Full Time
Location: Buffalo, New York
Simply stated, Materion makes advanced materials that improve the world. We are a global leader in creating innovative, high performance engineered material solutions and services for a wide range of growth industries: high-tech consumer electronics, telecommunications, commercial aerospace, defense, medical, automotive, and many more.
Our products, services and expertise help enable our customers' technologies. We supply sophisticated thin film coatings for hard disk drives, specialty inorganic chemicals for solar energy panels, bio-compatible materials for implantable medical devices, specialty alloys for miniature consumer electronics components, optical filters for thermal imaging, critical components for infrared sensing technology, special materials for LEDs and much more. As the world's only integrated “mine-to-mill” supplier of beryllium-based products, we also offer beryllium, specialty engineered beryllium alloys and beryllium composites.
In 2016, we generated approx. $1B in revenue. As a team of 2,500 associates, we partner with customers in more than 50 countries. In early 2017, Materion closed on an exciting new acquisition that expands our footprint in the U.S., Europe and Asia.
For more information, please visit our website at http://materion.com/About and check out our video “Materion Is” along with other videos of our employees sharing what it means for them to work at Materion.
Click on any of the icons below to connect with Materion on social media.
JOB DESCRIPTION: The Value Stream Manager (VSM) is a strategic partner in manufacturing operations, reporting directly to the Plant Manager, with responsibility for leading a Product Value Stream to achieve required business results. This position is directly responsible for the Gross Margin profitability of the defined value stream. The VSM ensures products in the Value Stream are manufactured with the highest level of safety that will meet or exceed customer expectations with regards to quality, delivery and cost. The position is responsible for all Product Value Stream functions and directly and/or indirectly for planning, manufacturing engineering, maintenance, and production. The VSM is directly responsible for overall performance of the Value Stream including safety, quality, delivery, cost, supervision, and employees. This position may have direct and/or indirect responsibility for business functions across multiple value streams. This position and the Value Stream Team performs as liaison and relationship builder to internal customers in Design, Product Management, R&D, Sales, and Marketing to create value across the organization, focusing on improving the external customer experience to drive customer allegiance and rapport. The VSM provides leadership guidance that ensures product scheduling, planning, materials, sourcing, and logistics functions are effective in enabling the Value Stream to achieve customer focused and financial goals; while driving and improving work ethic, team morale and team participation. The VSM drives the implementation of Lean best practices and is ultimately responsible for eliminating waste and improving flow throughout the Value Stream.
... include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Provides guidance, direction, and leadership to ensure products are manufactured with the highest level of safety that will meet or exceed customer expectations with regards to quality and delivery. Implements 5S principles and ensures all operations conform to the company's safety and quality policies and procedures, as well as federal, state, and local regulations.
- Conducts fact-based analysis using lean techniques to create value and manage to a future state Value Stream that eliminates waste and drives continuous process improvement.
- Builds strong alliances across all functions and is a strategic liaison to internal/external suppliers, customers, and partners with R&D and Quality to successfully manage the introduction of new products to manufacturing.
- Mentors and develops direct reports and entire Value Stream Team. Actively participates with, encourages, and leads all Value Stream members to improved levels of work ethic, morale, and productivity while meeting or achieving internal and external customer expectations.
- Establishes goals, sets priorities and coordinates all related activities within the Value Stream to ensure drive and focus towards meeting or exceeding established common business goals and financial objectives.
- Monitors, reviews, and improves manufacturing and quality related activities and drives corrective and preventative actions using Management by Fact or 8 step problem solving. Responsible for maintaining proper staffing levels, scheduling and organizing work assignments within the company policies and procedures.
- Provides leadership guidance and cadence for Daily Management Gemba walks and team +QDIP activity.
- Establishes Value Stream visual management for Safety, Quality, Delivery, Inventory Productivity (+QDIP) and key process indicators (KPIs). Measures, identifies gaps, and effectively problem solves root cause issues and implement countermeasures.
- Lead and support the development of Value Stream employees and succession planning activities in area of responsibility.
- Manage the development of, and monitor the execution of, the manufacturing schedule and capacity plan for production. Plan and determine personnel requirements based on forecasts. Solicit overtime and shift change recommendations from Area Managers/Supervisors, and provides leadership for the daily ODO (Orders Due Out) process.
- Assists in the development of budgets and manages activities to accomplish financial objectives. Oversee the tracking of actual departmental spending, ensuring that variances are resolved.
- Lead Continuous Improvement & Lean Manufacturing efforts in value streams and participate in the Gemba team to assure positive culture. Assure deployment, training, and utilization of tools are aligned with the strategic vision of the Company.
- Work to establish management practices throughout assigned areas which include all employees' positive involvement with opportunity for constructive input and action. Work to improve employee satisfaction for all production areas.
- Ensure accountability of the Value Stream expectations are clearly defined, delegated, and consistent through the use of training and the development of SOP's.
- Direct, advise, and otherwise expedite and solve manufacturing and other related problems by utilizing resources in the R&D Department to resolve and implement corrective procedures.
- In conjunction with Senior Management and associated Managers, assist with the development and formulation of short and long range plans, policies, programs, operating procedures, and objectives.
- Coordinate and direct major projects (e.g. acquisition and installation of capital equipment, major repairs, plant layout changes) to the best scheduling and economic advantage.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Directly and/or indirectly supervise the all Product Value Stream functions of safety, quality, planning, production, production support, manufacturing engineering, maintenance, shipping, and analytical activities for the responsible value streams. Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Bachelor's degree in an applicable field of study with 5-7 years' experience with leadership skills in a manufacturing environment or equivalent experience. An advanced degree such as an MBA is preferred.