Public Affairs Manager I at Georgia Pacific
Posted in Art 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin
Who is Georgia-Pacific?Watch to find out!
Georgia-Pacific (GP) is among the world's leading manufacturers of bath tissue, paper towels, napkins, tableware, paper-based packaging, office papers, cellulose, specialty fibers, nonwoven fabrics, building products and related chemicals. Our building products business makes DensGlass® gypsum board often seen in commercial construction, DryPly® plywood and RESI-MIX® wood adhesives, among others. Our containerboard and packaging business offers high-end graphic packaging to bulk bins as well as Golden Isles fluff pulp. You may also recognize consumer brands like Angel Soft®, Brawny®, and Dixie® on retail shelves and enMotion® towels, Compact® bath tissue and SmartStock® cutlery dispensers when you are away from home. Our GP Harmon business is one of the world's largest recyclers of paper, metal and plastics. As a Koch Company, we create long-term value using resources efficiently to provide innovative products and solutions that meet the needs of customers and society, while operating in a manner that is environmentally and socially responsible, and economically sound. Headquartered in Atlanta, GA., we employ approximately 35,000 people. For more information, visit www.gp.com.
To learn more about our culture, Market-Based Management (MBM®), click here:
ABOUT GREEN BAY OPERATIONS
In Georgia-Pacific’s Green Bay Operations, approximately 1,700 manufacturing employees produce nationally-known brands of bath tissue, napkins, paper towels and wipers, such as Quilted Northernâ, Angel Softâ, Brawnyâ, enMotionâ and Vanity Fairâ. A long-time fixture in the community, one of the company’s five Green Bay facilities has been manufacturing products for 115 years.
In addition to its Broadway and Day Street paper mills, its West Mason and SPG converting facilities, and its Ecosource™ fiber recycling operation, Green Bay is also home to about 600 additional Georgia-Pacific or Koch Industries employees working in IT, engineering, transportation and customer service for away-from-home products.
A Day In The Life Typically Includes:
ABOUT THE POSITION
This role will work with the guidance and counsel of the senior public affairs manager in Green Bay, focusing on using internal and external communications to increase mill long-term value and understanding of GP and the business. This includes on-going communication with company employees and helping the company maintain a positive relationship with the community.
The public affairs manager initially will spend approximately 60% of his/her time on internal communications work, 30% on public affairs work (community relations and government interaction) and 10% on proactive and reactive media relations. In addition, this role will serve as a public affairs and communications resource, providing support as needed to other company facilities in the region.
- Manage a comprehensive employee communications program at the facilities, as well as internal communications support of critical mill and company initiatives, including use of best practices from public affairs and communications managers at other GP facilities.
- Support overall communications efforts including leadership messaging, change management, strategic communications plans, and event planning.
- Advise the mill management team of issues, attitudes and opinions both inside and outside the company that could affect mill operations. This includes sustaining a climate of cooperation with employees and implementing or helping support necessary programs to maintain GP’s position as a leader in a highly competitive industry.
- Help develop and implement programs and volunteer opportunities in support of the local community that are aligned with the focus areas of education, environment, community enrichment and entrepreneurship, and add long-term value to our company, community and customers.
- Administer content on the facility intranet site and participate in producing the internal employee newsletter.
Assist with community and media relations activities, serve as a company spokesperson where appropriate, and facilitate interviews by providing background, details and explanation.
What You Will Need:
Bachelor’s degree (journalism, communications, or public relations concentration preferred)
- At least 5 years of communications experience.
- Knowledge and experience with communications strategy and programs, including adapting and implementing best practices of other communications programs.
- Excellent writing, editing and general communication skills.
- Experience with news media and community relations.
What Will Put You Ahead?
- Exposure to a manufacturing environment.
- Involvement with community groups such as chamber of commerce or other local business groups
- Experience working with SharePoint or other web-based communication tools
- Experience with video production and editing.
- Experience with social media communications.
Why Work For GP?
- A culture that places top priority on integrity and compliance
- Opportunity for career growth at one of the largest, financially stable companies in the world
- Encouragement to challenge the status quo and share knowledge
- Responsibilities and rewards based on contributions
- Continued company growth due to reinvesting 90% of our earnings
- Competitive pay and benefits that help you manage your personal and financial wellness
Want to learn more about Georgia-Pacific?
We're part of your everyday life. From the walls of your home to the Dixie® plates on your table, the boxes at your local grocery store or the Quilted Northern® in your bathroom, there's a good chance a Georgia-Pacific product is nearby. We need people like you: People who can help us make life's simple necessities better.
Salary and benefits commensurate with experience.
We are an equal opportunity employer. Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran
Except where prohibited by state law, all offers of employment are conditioned upon successfully passing a drug test.
This employer uses E-Verify. Please visit the following website for additional information: www.kochcareers.com/doc/Everify.pdf