Procurement Director - Operations at Mars, Incorporated
Posted in Management 13 days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Hackettstown, New Jersey
A mutually rewarding experience.
Work. Realize your ambitions. And realize there’s more to being in business than just making a profit. That’s the Mars philosophy. And the opportunity we offer every one of our Associates. An opportunity to take what you do and make it mean more for you, for those around you and for the planet. What you get here is challenging, interesting work. You get the tools you need to do a great job and you get to have the best possible people on your side to help you do it. And at the same time as getting to find ways to do business better today than we did it yesterday and driving a great career, you also get to build a more enlightened business and drive sustainability.
Because it’s never just about a single person, a single project or a single brand. It’s about how you can grab everything that’s within your reach here and use it to pursue mutual, long-term gain. It’s about having ideas. And ideals. Being prepared to risk failure because the promise of success means we’ll all be a little better off. It’s that mix of integrity and ambition that makes Mars such a special place to work. And why working here is always about more than just a job.
Mars has net sales of more than $33 billion, operates six business segments including Petcare, Chocolate, Wrigley, Food, Drinks, Symbioscience, and more than 75,000 Associates worldwide that are putting its Principles into action to make a difference for people and the planet through its performance.
Mars brands include: Petcare – PEDIGREE®, ROYAL CANIN®, WHISKAS®, BANFIELD® Pet Hospital, CESAR®, SHEBA®, DREAMIES® and NUTRO®; Chocolate – M&M’S®, SNICKERS®, DOVE®, GALAXY®, MARS®, MILKY WAY® and TWIX®; Wrigley – DOUBLEMINT®, EXTRA®, ORBIT® and 5™ chewing gums, SKITTLES® and STARBURST® candies, and ALTOIDS® AND LIFESAVERS® mints. Food – UNCLE BEN’S®, DOLMIO®, EBLY®, MASTERFOODS®, SEEDS OF CHANGE® and ROYCO®; Drinks – ALTERRA COFFEE ROASTERS™, THE BRIGHT TEA COMPANY™, KLIX® and FLAVIA®; Symbioscience – COCOAVIA® and WISDOM PANEL®.
Position Title: Director, Commercial Operations, Mars Wrigley Confectionery
Reports To: VP Commercial, Mars Wrigley Confectionery Americas
Segment: Mars Wrigley Confectionery
Location: Hackettstown, NJ (HKT)
Job Level: P3
The primary role of the Commercial Director Operations is to lead the Operations team in the development and execution of procurement operational strategy for all ingredients and packaging materials for Mars Wrigley Confectionery in support of 20 production sites within the US. The Commercial Operations Team is the key interface between Sourcing and key business stakeholders such as Activity Management, Quality, Marketing, Supply, Finance and Manufacturing. This leader is responsible for inbound supply chain strategy development, supplier performance improvement, inventory management, procure to payment process, systems support, and ensuring the delivery of exceptional business results in the following key areas for ingredients and packaging materials:
- Provide leadership and direction to a team of 27 associates. Use effective leadership skills to develop a High Performing Commercial Operations Team, attract and retain talent and drive associate engagement. Deliver succession plans that enable consistent delivery of operating and financial plans, plus build a pipeline of talent for the future.
- Lead the Operational management of the entire supplier base to ensure the efficient and effective execution of all Global and Regional sourcing strategies.
- Assure supply to all MWC manufacturing sites of Direct Materials and deliver consistent, reliable quality at the lowest possible total business cost. Assure that the Packaging and Raw Material supply chains are efficient and responsive to the needs of the business. Manage related supply, price, quality, legal and intellectual property risks
- Develop and ensure execution of strategies that improve the agility and reliability of the supply base in support of new product launches and line extensions. Proactively work with strategic suppliers to ensure the delivery of continuous improvement ideas and technology which ultimately leads to competitive advantage and revenue generating opportunities.
- Develop and execute “Best in Class” materials management strategies and collaborate closely with Supply to lower Net Working Capital in support of MWC long term cash goals. Deliver the strategic direction, oversight, and execution of key divisional pipeline initiatives including the successful roll-out of consignment, EDI and other significant pipeline enablers.
- Develop & execute inbound supply chain strategies including hub-n-spoke, min/max inventory management, and supplier owned inventory to reduce costs and reduce lead times.
- Drive materials costs down and deliver cost savings back to the business. Lead cross-functional COGS (cost of goods sold) teams with specific accountability for driving the “What”. Identify novel and creative means for reducing costs. Deliver against Best in Class Prime Material savings targets each year.
- Drive material quality up (in terms of consistent achievement of specifications) and lead efforts to leverage supplier’s R&D resources to bring forth leverageable innovations to the business.
- Specifically support all Strategic Sourcing and Buying Operations teams to ensure supplier master maintenance, spend analysis, transaction support and buying tool development in order to build and maintain a competitive advantage in buying management. Ensures data integrity and continuous improvement of the functional aspects of processes & systems.
- Lead all Customs activities for MWC. Collaborate with U.S Customs and Mars, Inc, McLean and across segments to ensure that all goods are delivered on time and in full to support all planned manufacturing activities.
- Establish and maintain leadership positions within industry associations and councils. Focus their goals and resources to the benefit of Mars Incorporated.
Mission Critical Competencies
- Managing Vision and Purpose
- Strategic Agility
- Supply Chain design and implementation
- Dealing With Ambiguity
- Command Skills
- Building Effective Teams
- Comfort Around Higher Management
- Developing Talent
Key Functional Skills/Knowledge
- Needs to construct risk management strategies and implement buying strategies for Prime materials.
- Needs to understand complexities of the materials pipeline and influence changes in Mars’ specifications of quality, physical receipt, and financial transactions to reduce costs and inventories.
- Needs to work across and influence an extensive network of cross functional, cross segment and global clients / stakeholders to ensure initiatives are executed in MWC.
- Needs strong crisis management and conflict resolution skills.
- Needs to be able to quickly analyze, define root cause and problem solve issues.
- Needs to leverage supplier expertise and resources in order to bring innovative ideas, products and processes back to MWC.
- Needs to rigorously implement the Mars Strategic Sourcing Process.
- Needs to be an effective leader to local, regional and global commercial teams as well as lead unit cross functional Value Creation Teams.
- 10+ years of experience in large scale strategic procurement and/or directly relevant supply chain discipline
- 5+ years’ experience in managing multiple, exempt level reports and cross functional teams
- Bachelor’s degree; MBA in business, economics, supply chain or related discipline a plus, but not required.
Decision Making Authority and Impact
- Cost Savings – to deliver 4%+ Value Creation ((approx. $60M) to MWC. Specification optimization of raw materials and packaging in partnership with R&D.
- How much physical inventory from the $2.5B spend to carry and in what locations and form it should be held in order to ensure reliable supply to the manufacturing sites while minimizing working capital and impact on ROTA. Excessive inventory will cause a decline in ROTA and creates potential obsolescence and write-off risks. Insufficient inventory can cause a plant shut down and directly impact customer service and sales revenue.
- Provide input into supplier selection and all business commitments for the portfolio of managed spend.
- Inventory levels to ensure compliance with Mclean minimum inventories
- Prime Material pipeline lead-times to fully support MWC Customer Service needs.
- Transactional effectiveness – recommend and implement all SAP Continuous improvements.
- Hiring and staffing the Commercial Operations team. Decisions around organization design, objective setting, resource allocation and ways of working within the team. These decisions impact the overall effectiveness of the team.
- Mars’ position in industry associations and our tactics to create a competitive advantage.
Recommendations (What recommendations will this associate be expected to make, to whom and to what impact to the business)
- Hiring and staffing in the department.
- Supply chain initiatives which require Mars to invest in capital or other financial or funding arrangements.
- Significant specification or material process changes; to R&D and the Management Team, to reduce costs toward established goals.
- Recommended list of suppliers to add/remove from approved supplier list based upon compliance to supplier quality assurance process and risk profile.
- Commercial fit for the future Commercial Service Centre (CSC) and Commercial Effectiveness strategies to deliver world class Transactional effectiveness, Competencies and Commercial capabilities
- Customs best practices and organizational optimization
People Management Responsibility
·Direct (management associates) 4
Direct (non-management associates) 1
·Indirect (management associates) 0
·Indirect (non-management associates) 22
Mars is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.