Posted in Education 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Houston, Texas
Houston Community College (HCC) is an open-admission, public institution of higher education offering a high-quality, affordable education for academic advancement, workforce training, career development and lifelong learning to prepare individuals in our diverse communities for life and work in a global and technological society. We’re proud to say that 98 percent of our graduates step into a job in their field of study immediately upon graduation. One of the largest community colleges in the nation, HCC has served the Greater Houston area for over four decades. Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, and the Schools Commission on Colleges, we offer 300+ associate degree and certificate programs to 75,000+ students across 13 Centers of Excellence and online each semester. We are proud to be No.1 among all community colleges in the nation in providing associate degrees to minorities and No.1 in educating international students, with 10.4 percent of our student population from outside the USA. Our vision is to become the Employer of Choice in support of our mission for Student Success by attracting, retaining and motivating the best employees.
Some of the brightest minds in academics and business are choosing HCC as their home. When you join our talented team, you’ll play a special role as teacher, mentor and academic advisor. We’ll support you in your professional development as you contribute your knowledge and expertise to HCC, our students and the community.
You: Innovator. Pacesetter. Agent of change. If you’re a tech savvy, process improvement-focused Student Champion with a talent for developing partnerships with communities and individuals, we’re looking for you.
Highlights: We are currently seeking an exceptional individual who will advance the institution’s proud tradition of excellence in academics, student life and community service.
Next steps: If you always have the student experience in the forefront of your planning and execution, if you’re a collaborator, an innovator and a person who gets things done, apply today!
Houston is a city with limitless possibilities:
The Director of Compliance will report to the Office of General Counsel and is responsible for the ongoing development, implementation, maintenance, and evolution of the compliance program and all related compliance activities. This includes, but is not limited to the development and subsequent assessment of comprehensive policies and procedures, protocols, compliance training, internal investigations and oversight.
Responsible for the design, execution and effectiveness of a system of internal controls which provides reasonable assurance that operations are effectives and efficient, assets are safeguarded, financial information is reliable and compliant with applicable law, regulation, policies and procedures.
Manages Talent Engagement activities for direct reports in regards to: recruiting and selection; hiring and termination, training, development, mentoring, counseling, and performance evaluations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Direct the development and implementation of all elements of a compliance program and all related compliance activities in order for HCC to detect, prevent, and resolve issues related to conduct that fails to conform to applicable laws, rules and regulations;
2. Develop, maintain and revise policies and procedures for the general operation of the compliance program and its related activities to create and foster best practices and prevent illegal, unethical, or improper conduct;
3. Build collaborative relationships and establish a regular process for reporting with compliance partners across the College that represent units with compliance responsibilities, including the Office of General Counsel, Office of Institutional Equity, Office of Internal Audit, Finance, Talent Engagement, Risk Management, Information Technology and Instructional Services among others;
4. Collaborate with internal departments (e.g., Finance, Talent Engagement, Risk Management, Instructional Services, Student Services and Internal Audit), as appropriate, to respond to compliance-related issues for investigative and/or resolution purposes;
5. Monitor, review, record and report changes and developments to new and existing laws, rules, and regulations and ensure institutional compliance;
6. Develop and maintain compliance training modules and administer training programs to assist in the coordination of general compliance training (i.e. equal employment, discrimination, sexual harassment and misconduct, disabilities, fraud, etc.);
7. Identify and assess potential compliance-related risks areas; recommend corrective actions to either minimize or remove identified risks; and review, report and monitor the outcomes;
8. Implement and maintain an effective compliance communications strategy for the College, including promoting:
a. awareness of the Board of Trustees Policies;
b. value and use of a confidential reporting hotline;
c. understanding of new and existing compliance issues and related policies and procedures;
d. identifying software needs for compliance program management across the System;
9. Align and integrate quality educational and training programs, in collaboration with the Office of the General Counsel, to ensure that members of the College community understand their compliance responsibilities and the policies, regulations, procedures, and legal requirements that are relevant to their work;
10. Manage and Chair the Compliance Partners group to identify and evaluate institutional risks and key compliance areas, including development of agendas and advance initiatives;
11. Work closely with the Texas Association of School Boards (TASB) and serve as the primary point of contact with the agency;
12. Refer specific compliance problems and concerns for investigation and resolution to the appropriate College units and obtain legal counsel from the Office of the General Counsel on such matters, as needed;
13. Develop a program of periodic reviews of individual compliance partner units in consultation with the Compliance Partners group;
14. Demonstrate the highest-degree of ethics, integrity, initiative, sound judgment, and expertise in administering all aspects of the College’s compliance program;
15. Represent the College at community meetings, internal committees, internal/external tasks forces, and conferences, as requested by the General Counsel;
16. Prepare correspondence, including written notices of violations of laws, rules, regulations, policies, procedures, and/or standards of conduct, and as appropriate, recommend the initiation of investigations, and manage an appropriate process for the uniform handling of such violations;
17. Demonstrate the highest-degree of ethics integrity, initiative, sound judgment, and expertise in administering all aspects of the system compliance program;
18. Assure that Compliance Program reports are produced for the Chancellor, Board of Trustees, and/ or the Audit and Compliance Committee of the Board of Trustees, as directed by the Office of the General Counsel;
19. Design, write, and coordinate compliance publications;
20. Oversee, develop, and maintain the compliance manual including monitoring plans; and
21. Oversee and maintain compliance web site and oversee the implementation and management of an outsourced compliance hotline;
MANAGEMENT AND LEADERSHIP
22. Manage the staff and budget of the Compliance Department as requested by the General Counsel; and
23. Lead other duties and projects as assigned by General Counsel.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential duties and responsibilities listed above. The qualifications listed below are representative of the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
JD Degree required; Licensed to Practice law in the State of Texas preferred.
Certified Compliance officer credentials required.
Six (6) years of compliance experience. Qualifying experience with an educational institution is desirable.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by their supervisor.
This job description may be revised upon development of other duties and changes in responsibilities.