Media Relations Associate at Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc.
Posted in Media - Journalism - Newspaper 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Washington, Washington DC
The overall purpose of this position is to manage IEEE-USA’s public and media relations to favorably position IEEE-USA news, programs, products, and advocacy positions in the media, particularly in Washington, DC. The incumbent in this position is primarily responsible for helping IEEE-USA meet its communications, legislative and career-enhancement goals working to influence opinion leaders, policy makers and decision makers. This position works under general supervision and typically reports to IEEE-USA’s Director of Communications and IT.
Specific duties include but are not limited to:
• Support on all aspects of brand visibility: pitching, drafting content, securing coverage, calendaring, product placement, events, media alerts and partnerships… etc.
• Develop and execute a strategic and integrated PR/Media plan to build brand awareness.
• Establish and maintain media relations with local, and national print/broadcast media, as well as online/digital outlets including bloggers, journalists, website owners, and influencers.
• Research, create and coordinate broadcast and print media opportunities. Find creative ways to tell IEEE-USA's story.
• Develop plans to highlight IEEE-USA products, services, public policy work and events
• Serve as publicist and facilitate interviews between IEEE-USA staff/volunteers and the press, including development of internal documents (e.g. key messages, Q&A, and talking points).
• Develop tailored media lists for individual projects or business needs and continually update database of media contacts.
• Update “Press Room” on http://www.ieeeusa.org regularly and contribute to IEEE-USA Insight.
• Maintain calendar of IEEE-USA programs and events, anticipating opportunities in advance and to maintain awareness of competing priorities.
• Working with the Director of Communications and the Social Media Associate, assist with social media editorial calendar, create content, and assist efforts to leverage media coverage on social channels.
• Create written materials including press releases and media advisories and/or assist other staff members with doing the same.
• Coordinate the production of select creative collateral materials (e.g. press invitations, press kit covers, marketing materials and brochures and digital assets.)
• Synchronize efforts with IEEE-USA’s Communications team and work effectively with other department heads across IEEE-USA, IEEE and other Organizational Unit's.
• Staff IEEE-USA financially co-sponsored conference events. Includes setup and tear down of booth and displays, on site interviews (both audio and video) and event photography/multimedia. Attend steering committee or related meetings on behalf of IEEE-USA.
• Stay informed and share new media and social media/digital trends, as well as industry case studies. Scan media outlets and social media sites daily relevant IEEE-USA/IEEE stories or industry news and share with the rest of the Communications team or staff as appropriate.
• Produce multimedia communications content, including but not limited to - a monthly podcast (with newsmaker segment), conference video/audio highlights, on camera/audio interviews, video/audio news briefs etc..
• Analyze, summarize and develop conclusions, recommending improvements to increase efficiency and output. Prepare qualitative and quantitative analysis and reports as requested.
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s Degree Required
• Minimum 3 years Public Relations, Broadcast or Media or related experience
Skills & Other Requirements:
• Attention to detail, and excellent writing and copyediting skills.
• WordPress or other Content Management Software
• Knowledge of business, advertising, sales, and media relations, as well as strong organizational, creative writing, research, and public speaking skills.
• Experience promoting products and/or positions. Knowledge of career and technology policy a plus - along with the ability to demonstrate innovation and creativity in presenting said policy issues, preferably in the scientific, technical, and/or engineering areas.
• Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
• Photoshop or graphic editing/image design skills.
• Strong record of experience working with media/journalists, a proven record of securing media coverage, and active on social media channels.
• Comfort with appearing on camera and recorded audio both as an announcer/interviewer and spokesperson articulating IEEE-USA positions in a favorable manor.
• Adobe Creative Suite a plus
• Video/Audio Production experience a plus.
For information on work demands and conditions required for this position, please consult the reference document, “Physical, Mental, and Work Environment Standards for IEEE Positions.” This position is classified under Category I
IEEE is an EEO/AAP Employer/Protected Veteran/Disabled
Disclaimer: This job description outlines the general nature and key features performed by various positions that share the same job classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties and qualifications required of all employees assigned to the job. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or re-assign duties to this job at any time due to reasonable accommodations or other business reasons.