Posted in Architecture 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Engineer 1 (E1)
The Boston office is looking for an Engineer with 1 to 3 years of experience. This engineer should have knowledge of the construction process and be comfortable interfacing with contractors on a daily basis. Individual should be competent in reading design plans and shop drawings, and evaluating Contractors compliance with construction plans and specifications. Engineer should also be capable of coordinating and overseeing Contractors in a field environment on a daily basis. Individual must have sound communication skills, be adept at troubleshooting issues and identifying potential solutions, and have a valid MA driver’s license and the use of a personal vehicle on a daily basis.
General Duties & Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Measures distances to verify accuracy of dimensions of structural installations and layouts.
2. Verifies levels, alignment, and elevation of installations.
3. Observes work in progress to ensure that procedures followed and materials used conform to specifications.
4. Prepares samples of unapproved materials for laboratory testing.
5. Examines workmanship of finished installations for conformity to standards and approves installation.
6. Interprets blueprints and specifications for Contractor and discusses deviations from specified construction procedures to ensure compliance with regulations governing construction.
7. Records quantities of materials received or used during specified periods.
8. Maintains daily log of construction and inspection activities and compares progress reports.
9. Has capability to monitor several types of work activity simultaneously.
10. Maintain construction safety practices and work methods for compliance.
11. Ability to work with minimal supervision.
Qualifications – To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Education/Experience – Bachelor’s degree in Civil/Structural engineering. Construction inspection or management experience is helpful.
Language Ability - Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports, and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of clients or employees of organization.
Math Ability – Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Computer Skills - Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Office, and various engineering software systems depending on engineering discipline: AutoCAD; MicroStation, and Civil 3D.
Certificates and Licenses – Completion of the Engineering-in-Training exam is strongly encouraged.
Work Environment - The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts and outside weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud. Work hours will include nights and weekends.
Physical Demands - The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to walk, use hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and telephone keyboard, reach with hands and arms, and drive a car. The employee is required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include ability to adjust focus. The employee must be able to work in a variety of climates (hot, cold) and inclement weather.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies: