Editorial Assistant, Prevention.com at THE HEARST CORPORATION
Posted in Writing/Editing 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: New York, New York
Reporting to the Digital Director of Prevention, the editorial assistant supports the whole team with the daily publishing needs of one of the largest health and wellness brands on the internet. The position is primarily focused on writing and producing daily digital original content — a mix of news, product and tip roundups, and maintaining existing high-value pieces — but also provides general editorial support, as needed, for the Prevention digital team on reported features, SEO and print production, partner syndication requests, top-editing, and more.
The ideal candidate is super-organized, a clean writer with a distinct voice, and highly interested in the health journalism space. If you eat, sleep and breathe healthy living, you’ll fit right in here.
- Pitch and write 1-3 daily health news and trend-focused pieces for the site that are highly shareable and engaging
- Pitch and write 3-5 longer-lead pieces, reported features and galleries for the site each week, with a focus on service that will work for search and for syndication partners
- Track emerging news and trending health topics and update the digital team in real-time to find ways for the site to participate in the conversation
- Help identify and syndicate daily sister site content to promote on Prevention.com’s social channels to increase traffic referrals, audience growth and overall social engagement
- Assist Digital Director and other staff editors with building and optimizing monthly print content, as needed
- Organize and manage all freelance contract and invoice processing for external site contributors
- Attend important brand-related events, covering on social or the site, as needed
- 1-2 years of experience as an intern or full-time staff writing and editing health or other lifestyle-related content
- Daily obsessive knowledge of Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter trends and key competitive brands online
- Familiarity with Google Analytics, Crowdtangle, or similar reporting tools — and experience tracking them daily
- Experience with basic HTML, content management systems, social media scheduling systems like SocialFlow or Sprinklr, and other basic digital production tools
- Keen ability to multi-task, stay organized and interact with multiple team members to take or give direction quickly
- Knowledge and experience with video- and photo-editing platforms a plus