The Senior Underwriter’s primary responsibility is to underwrite individual risks through a demonstration of the following skills and abilities:
· Fundamentals of coverage, terms and conditions. Ability to offer coverage, terms and conditions which generate a profit for the Company while meeting the needs of the customer.
· Risk Assessment. Ability to identify risk exposures, special or common hazards, and appropriate controls. Ability to select risk based on exposure and risk analysis. Ability to analyze claims and quantify losses.
· Financial proficiency. Understanding of financial statements and ratios used in risk analysis. Understanding of insurance financial fundamentals; impact of underwriting decisions on company assets.
· Actuarial fundamentals. Ability to understand loss trends and ratemaking. Ability to quantify risk based on experience history and forecasting methods.
· Marketing and communications. Ability to sell and negotiate to achieve bottom line profitability for the Company. Ability to make presentations and communicate articulately. Ability to base communications on strategic thinking. Ability to manage producer strategy.
· Systems and programs. Ability to use systems and software programs needed to conduct daily business.
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Duties may include but are not limited to:
Property, Inland Marine & Ocean Cargo are the main product lines handled by this individual.
A knowledge of casualty lines of coverage are a plus · Within established business plans and assigned authority, select, analyze and underwrite individual risks utilizing corporate pricing and reinsurance techniques to obtain desired results · Provide quality and timely input on assigned projects in order to meet the Company’s needs in the changing market and support profitable growth · Monitor results of the overall book of business assigned and recommend corrective action as necessary to insure retention of desirable accounts · Make customer presentations/visits on behalf of Chubb Inland Marine to develop positive, long-term broker relationships · Participate in audits and/or underwriting meetings as required. · Cross-sell opportunities within other Chubb divisions through promotion of their products and services
Travel for client and agency visitation will be focused on Houston, Louisiana, and Oklahoma.
· Bachelor’s degree and industry designations – CPCU or AMIM preferred · Minimum 3 years of current underwriting/insurance experience –concentration in Inland Marine products including Builder’s Risk and Contractor’s Equipment preferred · Strong marketing and underwriting skill set with an emphasis on relationships and exposures in the Southeastern United States · Able to work collaboratively and prioritize in a matrix environment · Strong oral and written communication skills · PC and Microsoft Office Products proficient