Per Diem Grossing Tech/ Pathology Assistant at Miraca Life Sciences
Posted in General Business 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Union, New Jersey
The Per Diem Grossing Tech/ Pathology Assistant is responsible for assisting the assigned anatomic and clinical pathologists in organizing and conducting all aspects of the pathology portion of a study. This position performs a wide variety of Histology processes to include tissue grossing, case set-up, in-take of cases, microscopic imaging of patient specimens and other duties as assigned. It requires following approved Standard Operating Procedures.
- Describes gross anatomic features of Processing Specimens (as defined by CAP), sections the specimen according to specific protocols, and submits the entire specimen for histologic preparation.
- Photomicrographs area of interest of specimens to be included on final report and performs a Quality Control (QC) function during the image capture process.
- Assists in the identification and research of discrepancy cases to determine the origin of variance.
- Responsible for helping pathologists, adjunct pathologists, and remote pathologists respond to Quality Assurance audits, etc.
- Preserves and processes gross specimens and sets up and photos documentation of surgical specimens.
- Organizes slides, data, generating tables, and assists with any other requests.
- Prepares cases to be grossed-in by logging in surgical pathology specimens in the tissue laboratory, assigning accession numbers, checking tissue-examination forms and specimens for completeness and accuracy, and labeling specimen cassettes with accession numbers by differentiation according to varied specimen requirements.
- Performs accurate gross description and dissection of surgical specimens according to the guidelines established by the Anatomic Pathology Medical Director for a Gross Technician.
- Demonstrates the ability to accurately prioritize and triage specimens, handles and disposes of specimens and chemical waste based on the laboratory’s procedural manual, and ensures compliance with regulatory agencies.
- Aides in discrepancy resolution.
- Maintains confidentiality of sensitive information concerning patients, physicians, employees, clients, vendors, and the company.
- Performs Quality Control and Quality Assurance tests as required. Maintains all necessary documentation and current logs.
- Reports all concerns of test quality and/or patient or employee safety to a Supervisor or Safety Officer.
- Maintain a good understanding and working knowledge of Laboratory Information Systems.
- Bachelor’s degree in biological, chemical, or chemical laboratory science or related field required.
- Prior tissue grossing experience required.
- Must meet the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Act (CLIA ’88) criteria to perform high complexity testing.
- High degree of technical knowledge in processing specimens (as defined by CAP).
- Ability to communicate effectively (gross descriptions).
- Requires a high degree of care and attention with strict adherence to defined clinical testing protocols.
- Demonstrated skills and high level of attention to detail in technical data interpretation and ability to troubleshoot.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Word, Excel, Outlook, and general working knowledge of Internet for business use.
- Visual acuity (including color discrimination) and analytical skill to distinguish fine detail.
- Manual dexterity to use common laboratory equipment and perform sterile techniques as required.
- Must possess ability to sit and/or stand for long periods of time.
- Must possess ability to perform repetitive motion.
- Must possess ability to lift up to 30 pounds.
- May have exposure to extreme temperatures, high noise levels, fumes and bio-hazardous material/chemicals including formalin in the lab environment.
- May be required to handle blood-borne pathogens and general laboratory reagents; handle live human specimens, tissues, and bodily fluid.
This job description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.