Posted in Other 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by America's Job Exchange
Type: Full Time
Location: Berkeley, California
Director of Finance, SPH (7710U) #24658
Return to Previous Page
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world s most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley s culture of openness, freedom and acceptance academic and artistic, political and cultural make it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: 3/16/2018
The School of Public Health (SPH) at UC Berkeley is recognized for its educational and research excellence, consistently ranking among the top public health schools in the country. The mission of the School is to develop, adapt, and apply diverse disciplines for the promotion and protection of the health of the human population. The School carries out this mission with programs of teaching, research, and service. The School serves approximately 1,100 students and serves approximately 1,000 other UC Berkeley students who participate in SPH courses. The academic structure of SPH consists of a single department and 6 divisions (Community Health Sciences, Environmental Health Sciences, Epidemiology/ Biostatistics, Health Policy Management, Infectious Diseases and Vaccinology, and Interdisciplinary). In addition to the Divisions, the School supports 30 research centers, many of which cut across the entire campus.
The Director of Finance will provide guidance, leadership, and expertise in strategic planning, management and oversight for the School s financial operations. The incumbent will supervise two financial analysts and hold responsibility for the School s financial operations, including budget preparation; trend and variances analyses; stewardship of School funds (gifts, endowments and business contracts); campus compliance and reporting; collaboration with Campus Shared Services research administration team; maintenance of the general ledger and chart of accounts; and oversight/approval of School expenditures. The finance team ensures responsible spending across the School the Director of Finance will oversee this work completed by direct reports and may also monitor their own portfolio.
This position will report to the Chief Financial Officer/Assistant Dean for Finance. In collaboration with the Chief Financial Officer, the Director will support School-wide resource allocation decisions (e.g. strategic investments or areas to reduce expenditures) and creation/enforcement of School-wide policies and procedures.
* Applies advanced professional concepts to perform complex technical analysis to understand past performance and determine present and future performance and/or resource allocations.
* Responsible for providing analytical support for highly complex budget, financial, and resource projects dealing directly with major department managers.
* Designs and executes analytical studies, summary reports and background materials for CFO, department administrative officers and managers for financial and/or resource plans, including annual resource allocation approaches, trend analysis operating forecasts, sources and uses, etc., that have a significant impact on individual or multiple units.
* Prepares draft memos, complex spreadsheets and briefing materials for review and approval by CFO and/or the Dean.
* Performs highly complex financial or resource research and studies for both internal department and external campus constituents. Examples include generating, modifying, and conceiving of new financial or other resource reports, strategic planning and modeling, analyzing and forecasting staff/faculty salary budgets, contracts, grants, gifts, endowments, or user fees, and making recommendations for maximizing financial or other resource outcomes.
* Working with the CFO, the incumbent will be responsible for ensuring SPH meets deadlines related to budget submission and campus reporting.
* May lead a team of less-experienced analysts.
* Provides mentoring, feedback and professional development for two financial analysts.
* Responsible for ensuring that these individuals work is appropriately delegated, prioritized and completed in a timely manner.
* Performs highly complex financial or resource research and studies for both internal department and external campus constituents.
* Applies financial services concepts (i.e., accounting, accounts receivable, accounts payable, collections and billing) and human resource concepts relating to payroll, to resolve issues, and prepare business process procedures and policy recommendations.
* Reviews, processes, and approves financial data and transactions.
* Ensures that financial processing functions are performed with accuracy and that daily financial operations run smoothly.
* Prepares budgets, tracks expenses and oversees creation and use of chart of account elements (chartstrings).
* Advanced knowledge of finance policies, practices and systems.
* Ability to present complex financial and administrative information in a clear and concise manner, both in writing and verbally.
* Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office and common desktop/web applications.
* Thorough knowledge of budgeting and reporting techniques; resource planning and accounting.
* Demonstrated experience in developing long-term and short-range operating plans, complex budgets and analyses.
* Excellent analytical skills, including the ability to independently develop creative solutions to obstacles.
* Proven ability to communicate complex findings and recommendations to technical and non-technical audiences both verbally and in writing.
* Highly developed customer service skills.
* Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
* Familiarity with the State and campus budget processes, University Business and Finance Bulletins, and campus business service policies and procedures.
* Proficiency in BFS, BAIRS, HR BAIRS, CalPlanning.
* Experience with non-profit accounting practices.
* MBA or CPA or Masters in Finance/Accounting.
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action