Director, Corporate Counsel at Prudential
Posted in Legal 15 days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Madison, New Jersey
PGIM Real Estate Law has an exciting opportunity to work in a dynamic global investment management business. PGIM Real Estate Law is seeking a Director, Corporate Counsel to join the Americas legal team supporting the PGIM Real Estate business in the U.S with broad responsibility for real estate transactional and asset management matters as well as special projects. This individual will report to the Chief Counsel, Americas.
PGIM Real Estate is the real estate investment business of PGIM, Inc. the global investment business of Prudential Financial, Inc. (NYSE: PRU) which ranks as one of top 10 asset managers in the world with more than $1 trillion in assets under management as of December 31, 2017. Redefining the real estate investing landscape since 1970, PGIM Real Estate has professionals in 18 cities in the Americas, Europe and Asia Pacific with deep local knowledge and expertise, and gross assets under management of $69 billion (net $50.5 billion) as of December 31, 2017. PGIM Real Estate offers its global client base a broad range of real estate equity, debt and securities investment strategies that span the risk/return spectrum.
The PGIM Real Estate Law Department currently comprises 12 attorneys located in PGIM Real Estate’s offices in Madison, NJ, London, Frankfurt, Mexico City, Singapore and Tokyo. PGIM Real Estate Law is part of Prudential’s Law, Compliance, Business Ethics and External Affairs department.
Key responsibilities include:
- Providing advice on a broad range of real estate matters including sales, acquisitions, financings, leasing, property management and development.
- Providing advice related to joint ventures, REIT structuring and compliance and other investment transactions.
- Providing advice in connection with the negotiation of investment management agreements.
- Supporting portfolio management teams with ongoing fund management issues.
- Providing advice on fund governance and litigation matters as needed.
- Retaining, managing and coordinating outside counsel.
- Supporting and driving diversity and inclusion efforts, including the retention of diverse outside counsel.
- Significant law firm or in-house transactional experience (approximately a minimum of 5 years). Real estate transactional experience is preferred.
- General knowledge of the US regulatory framework for private funds and real estate capital markets, such as the Investment Advisers Act, the Securities Act of 1933 and ERISA is a plus.
- Ability to structure transactions to comply with REIT regulations is a plus.
- Desire to learn the PGIM Real Estate business and expand their knowledge of the different areas of law that affect the business.
- Strong problem-solving, communication and client management skills.
- Strong project management skills, including the ability to prioritize multiple tasks and operate independently in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent judgment, including the ability to provide pragmatic advice and escalate issues when appropriate.
- Ability to collaborate with clients, colleagues and corporate partners at all levels, including senior management.
- Admitted to practice law in at least one state and able to obtain an in-house counsel license, if required.
- Proficiency in Spanish is a plus.
The position will be based in PGIM Real Estate’s headquarters in Madison, NJ.