Architect - Advanced Technologies at Arthrex, Inc.
Posted in Architecture 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Santa Barbara, California
|Title:||Architect - Advanced Technologies|
|Division:||Arthrex, Inc. (US01)|
|Location:||ACI Santa Barbara, CA (US26)|
The Architect-Advanced Technology will be responsible for system level hardware architecture for the development activities in Arthrex’s Advanced Technologies group (Synergy Innovation Group). The innovation group charter is to research, spearhead and demonstrate innovation initiatives/R&D for the Arthrex Synergy platform and its target markets. This group will research and develop industry specific technologies, work with management team to create roadmaps for these initiatives/technologies that may apply to future products. In addition help demonstrate or prove critical technologies for Synergy HW/SW platforms in surgical/information system markets.
The role of the Architect is to manage the requirements gathering, technology selection and solution design. Have the ability to put together unique cutting-edge solutions that bring together Image Processing/Control/Computing/IoT/M2M devices and data. The individual would focus on hardware system architectures and work closely with the Software Architect to ensure alignment with those future roadmaps as well.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participates in overall product, research, proof of concept and development requirements and high level coordination for new and emerging consumer, broadcast, computing and medical technologies.
- Provides architectural and system level design for high speed electronics, distributed DC power systems, embedded CPU/GPU environments, image processing interfaces, system level memory/bus and interfaces, wide variety of sensors, high speed networks, wireless systems and firmware designs.
- Understands evolving market trends, competitive threats, and user needs as a basis to create long term roadmaps for innovation initiatives as they apply to Synergy hardware and enterprise wide software products
- Coordinates advanced innovation activities targeting future Synergy hardware aligned with the SW Services product platforms and their respective development.
- Provides leadership, mentoring and guidance in the day-to-day progress of Arthrex Synergy R&D and Innovation activities.
- Provides technical expertise, demonstrations of technologies and handoffs to other departments in support of broader product development.
- Collaborates with a wide variety of functional areas such as sales, cross functional engineering, marketing, manufacturing, and operations to develop and provide product definitions responsive to customer needs and market opportunities.
- Prepares product development objectives and schedules for all phases of these innovation activities.
- Identifies existing or potential partnering opportunities for complementary third-party products to broaden company's product line or access to technologies.
- Provides technical expertise and assists Marketing in developing strategies and applicable portions of the company business plan.
- Plans, organizes, and coordinates approved R&D projects to ensure accomplishment of financial/budgetary goals and optimum allocation of resources.
- Responsible for tracking innovation activities through the development process from concept, design, conceptual prototype and handoff for potential product incorporation.
- Prepares technical and financial reviews of the assigned projects and presents information to Senior Managers, business unit management, customer and project team personnel as required.
- Architect end-to-end solutions
- Help develop an overall processor, GPU, IoT, M2M ecosystem engagement strategy with understanding of emerging technologies and communications protocols
- Experience working with external or internal customers to implement large-scale solutions
- Demonstrated experience leading or developing high quality, enterprise scale products using a structured system development lifecycle.
- Experience in Imaging / embedded / IoT / M2M industry
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed in this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, and indeed additional responsibilities may be assigned, as required, by management.
Education and Experience:
Bachelors degree in engineering discipline required, Masters degree preferred.
15 years in Research and Development / Engineering Management of complex Hardware/Software/Opto Mechanical products required.
Additional experience in Imaging, Sensors, Robotics, Powered Instruments, Electrosurgical Devices and Fluid Management preferred.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements:
- General understanding of analog and digital circuit design including programmable components (e.g. FPGA’s), manufacturing and troubleshooting.
- Broad understanding or expert in FPGA architecture, design techniques, applications and programming - Verilog and/or VHDL
- Demonstratable experience with fundamental hardware architectures including ARM, X86, GPU, IoT, M2M
- Strong experience in rapidly developing prototypes to prove technical feasibility and/or market viability through demonstration to stakeholders.
- Demonstratable experience with hardware-software interfaces and collaborating with software development teams.
- Knowledge of electronic design tools (schematic capture, pcb layout, simulation tools), preferably Altium.
- Expert in advanced image processing including GPU related APIs or technologies: openGL, DX, CUDA, DL/ML, etc.
- Experience in MIS Technologies, Sports Medicine and Arthroscopic Surgical Techniques and Integrated Operating Room environments preferred.
Machine, Tools, and/or Equipment Skills:
Knowledge of surgical equipment and instrumentation, electrical testing equipment, PC, Logic Analyzers, Oscilloscopes, Video waveform analyzer.
Bench top testing and troubleshooting with typical lab equipment.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
Ability to comprehend and apply mathematical principles to the degree required to perform the job based upon job requirements.
Language and Communication Skills:
Ability to comprehend and apply language skills to the degree required to perform the job based upon the job requirements listed above. Ability to verbally communicate ideas and issues effectively to other team members and management. Ability to write and record data and information as required by procedures. Ability to speak multiple languages preferred.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee is frequently required sit; use hands and fingers, to handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Visual acuity necessary to do the job safely and effectively.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The area that this job is performed in is a general office or open cubicle/workstation environment. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.