Manufacturing Engineer at GKN Aerospace
Posted in Other 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by America's Job Exchange
Type: Full Time
Location: Cromwell, Connecticut
LOGIN TO SAVE THIS VACANCY
Advertising End Date:
About The Opportunity
What you ll do
Under routine supervision, determines, through on-the-job experience and academic preparation, the optimal manufacturing methods and processes for producing company products. Generally will see a product through to satisfactory production, coordinating the manufacturing processes involved to meet customer, government and company requirements.
* Analyzes engineering design documents to establish manufacturing methods and processes to manufacture a component, including creating conceptual sketches and initiating the design and building of required tooling within established budgets and submits for appropriate approvals.
* Prepares a bill of material for procurement of raw material, rivets, bolts, etc., and describes outside vendor services needed for the manufacture of a component (heat treat, anodizing, painting, etc.). Approves outside vendor manufacturing plans and reviews progress to plan.
* Provides program management for individual parts, develops and maintains all production plans including sequencing of events for efficient, cost-effective manufacturing and coordinates all phases of manufacture, including process planning, tooling, and components manufacture assuring compliance to customer and company requirements. Maintains accurate files on parts.
* Continually evaluates alternative manufacturing methods/processes for cost reductions, improved products, competitive manufacturing advantage and capacity limitations.
* Prepares changes to meet revised customer requirements. Reviews progress with the customer, including design errors, proposed part rework and manufacturing problems.
* Analyzes discrepant parts, dispositions nonconforming material reports, and prepares rework/repair procedures and customer submittal documents, as required.
* Instructs production workers and shop supervisors in proper use of tools and implementation of planned methods and processes, and provides technical support as problems occur, analyzing and researching solutions and implementing corrective action, as needed.
* Estimates engineering time and tooling cost for customer design changes and submits estimates to Estimating Department.
* Assists Estimating Department in estimating future orders.
* Maintains a clean work environment (including assigned storage and cleaning duties) in full compliance with company standards, customer and government regulations.
* Assists in the development and maintenance of a business culture, which supports the Company's overall business objectives and goals, in issues that involve cost, quality, process, schedule and people .
* Ensures the company's commitment to maintain a safe workplace and to protect the environment through the establishment and support of Company policy and adherence to various government regulations.
* Fully complies with the "GKN Aerospace, Inc. Policy Statement on Contracting with the United States Government" in all areas of responsibility involving direct and indirect contracting with the United States Government. Ensure subordinate staff is aware of the policy and their individual responsibility and accountability for complying with it.
* Performs other duties, tasks and responsibilities as assigned.
* Bachelor s degree in an appropriate discipline or in lieu of a degree 8+ years equivalent combination of education and experience. Advanced degree may typically be required.
Experience & Qualifications
* Requires minimum of 5+ years of directly related technical experience in an engineering discipline, preferably in manufacturing aerospace environment.
* 3+ years of fabrication, assembly and shop math, including algebra, trigonometry and special relations.
* Expected to be familiar with material processes and the use of and design of tools, fixtures & gauges. Prefer some working knowledge of computerized systems.
* The ability to work as a team player as well as independently is required.
Mental and Physical Demands
* Ability to read, write and comprehend English instructions
* Ability to communicate clearly and concisely
* Ability to read and interpret blueprints, technical drawings and specifications
* Ability to use engineering test equipment, CAD, and/or various computer systems.
GKN is a global engineering business. We design, manufacture and service systems and components for most of the world s leading aircraft, vehicle and machinery manufacturers. We are continuously evolving, pioneering new technologies and reinventing existing ones, stretching ourselves to better in everything we do. GKN operates three divisions: GKN Aerospace, GKN Driveline and GKN Powder Metallurgy employing 56,000 people in more than 30 countries.
GKN Aerospace is the world s leading multi-technology tier 1 aerospace supplier. With 55 manufacturing locations in 14 countries, we serve over 90% of the world s aircraft and engine manufacturers. We design and manufacture innovative smart aerospace systems and components. Our technologies are used in aircraft ranging from the most used single aisle aircraft and the largest passenger planes in the world to business jets and the world s advanced 5th generation fighter aircraft.
Diversity and Inclusion
As a global engineering company, innovation is what differentiates us from our competitors and is central to our success.
A balance of cultures, ethnicities and genders help bring new ideas and creativity to GKN. We need people of different backgrounds, with different skills and perspectives to spark originality, imagination and creativeness in our teams around the world.
GKN is an equal opportunity employer.
We treat all our employees and applicants fairly and are committed to ensuring that there is no discrimination or harassment against any employee or qualified applicant on the grounds of age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex, or veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.