Corrosion Technician - Odessa, TX at Kinder Morgan
Posted in General Business 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Odessa, Texas
Primary Purpose: Provide a high level of technical support on a regional or system basis relating to corrosion control and pipeline integrity. Design and maintain cathodic protection and internal corrosion control facilities. Conduct internal and external specialized corrosion tests on steel structure.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for all activities related to corrosion control and pipeline integrity
- Cathodic protection includes gathering annual pipe-to-soil surveys, gathering rectifier readings and troubleshooting rectifier units, performing interference testing, and recommending, designing, overseeing installation, and performing as-built drawings for needed cathodic facilities.
- Design, install, operate, and maintain cathodic protection facilities, power lines, galvanic anodes, and internal corrosion control facilities
- Monitor the condition of the pipeline through pipe-to-soil potentials, visual inspection, examination of coupons, data from in-line tools, etc.
- Monitor electrical isolation and identify points of electrical shorts.
- Conduct various tests, measurements, and surveys to ensure efficient operation of cathodic protection facilities.
- Atmospheric corrosion duties include performing coating evaluations and providing technical assistance to district operations.
- Internal corrosion responsibilities include evaluating, developing and monitoring the internal corrosion control program for single, multiphase gas pipelines and liquid lines.
- Gather and evaluate data, recommend, perform, and oversee mitigative measures
- Document all related work associated with performing and maintaining regulatory compliance and operating and maintenance procedures.
- Lead efforts to design and implement effective long-term cathodic protection systems.
- Prepares drawings, job specifications and contract bid documents
- Pipeline integrity responsibilities include providing assistance running in-line digital metal loss and stress corrosion cracking inspection tools, writing associated action plans, performing and documenting prove-up inspections, and writing closure reports.
- Assist E&C and Engineering personnel with the evaluation / development / implementation and maintenance of facility grounding systems.
- Perform coating evaluations for atmospheric corrosion control and prepare mitigation plans.
- Participate in federal inspections.
- Inspect 3rd party construction / work activities
- Mentor fellow employees when the opportunity presents itself
- Other duties as assigned
A two year technical degree in Corrosion Technology, electrical, electronics, or equivalent from an approved and accredited college or university.
Certifications, Licenses, Registrations:
- Approved educational courses in all phases of corrosion including internal, external, and atmospheric corrosion.
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver's license and a driving record satisfactory to the company and its insurers.
- Achieve and maintain all qualifications, certifications, and progression requirements applicable to the job classification
- Completion of any site specific technical training may be applicable
- May be required to possess a commercial driver's license, drive a company commercial vehicle and comply with all commercial vehicle regulations
- Understand and operate all corrosion related instrumentation
- Working knowledge of environmental and safety aspects of coating projects
- Proficient with computer skills (MS Office, operating systems, company software, and technical systems) • Basic Math skills (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, fractions, decimals, etc) Competencies, skills, and abilities:
- Must respond to, and address, callouts and emergencies during and after regular business hours including after dark hours, which requires carrying a communication device
- Ability to complete work assignments with minimal supervision in an acceptable time frame • Ability to operate and maintain chemical injection and pressure access equipment
- Ability to estimate installation, operating and maintenance expenses associated with corrosion systems.
- Ability to effectively organize, plan, prioritize, document, and complete work independently. • Ability to successfully work in team environment.
- Overtime may be required and is anticipated
- Must be able to work with a team, take direction from supervisor(s), prioritize work schedule, focus attention on details, and follow rules.
- Strong communication skills both verbally and in writing.
- Safe work practice and active participation in the safety program.
- Depending upon the location and workload, travel will be required
- Available for shift work when applicable
- The successful candidate will be required to clear a drug screen and a complete background check, after an offer has been extended and prior to being employed
- Job level commensurate with experience and skill sets
- Must be able to withstand extreme weather conditions
- Must be able to frequently, enter confined spaces, climb to and work from elevated platforms, excavated areas, ladders, walkways, etc
- Must be able to lift a minimum of 20 pounds in awkward positions, and ability to lift 50 pounds from floor to waist (occasional).
- Be available for shift work when applicable.
- May work in low-lit areas Preferred Experience, Skills and Knowledge (above the minimum requirements; not required, but advantageous in this position)
- NACE certification
- Experience in all phases of corrosion control and pipeline integrity as described in the Job Responsibilities
- Experience with CPDM and RStreng
- Working knowledge of AC and DC electrical systems, corrosion related portions of NEC, and NACE standards
- Knowledge of company policies and DOT regulations
- Knowledge and experience with safe handling practices of products (gas and liquids). The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed. This position may perform other duties as assigned.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.