Accountant I at National General Insurance Company
Posted in Other 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by America's Job Exchange
Type: Full Time
Location: New York, New York
With limited supervision, responsible for the more skilled accounting activities associated with maintaining complete and accurate accounting records.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Following is a summary of the essential functions for this job. Other duties may be performed, both major and minor, which are not mentioned below. Specific activities may change from time to time.
* Compile and prepare external and internal financial data
* Review accounting issues and procedures and make recommendations regarding the implementation of the accounting policies
* Work with internal auditors, insurance examiners, and external auditors to answer questions and provide backup
* Participate in the identification and development of new processes, analytical tools and reports to meet the needs of management
* Maintain journals or subsidiary ledgers
* Analyze and reconcile accounts; research cause of discrepancies and take action to ensure accounts are balanced
* Review, prepare and maintain standard accounting journal entries, including both recurring and ad-hoc entries requiring some calculation of data
* Assist with adhoc requests and recommend process improvements
* Participate in the review and evaluation of existing and proposed internal controls or manual and automated operations to safeguard company assets and to comply with government regulations
MINIMUM SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* Bachelor s Degree or in-lieu of degree equivalent education, training and work-related experience
* 2+ years of Accounting experience
* Must possess effective verbal and written communication skills
* Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
* Understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
* Understanding of Statutory Accounting Principles (SAP)
* Understanding of related accounting principles and transactions based on assigned responsibilities.
* Effective organization and time management skills with the ability to work under pressure and adhere to project deadlines
* Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to establish working relationships with individuals at varying levels within the organization
* General understanding of the insurance industry and organizational relationships of the company; as well as, an understanding of the functions of other departments
* General ledger system experience
* Understanding of mainframe, pc-based, and/or web-based applications.
* Analyze and synthesize complex information to form options and recommendations; utilize effective research and investigative techniques
* Effective problem solving skills
* Demonstrates initiative and desire to grow within the department
* High attention to detail
ABOUT NATIONAL GENERAL HOLDINGS:
National General Holdings Corp. is headquartered in New York City. National General traces its roots to 1939, has a financial strength rating of A (excellent) from A.M. Best, and provides personal and commercial automobile, homeowners, umbrella, recreational vehicle, motorcycle, supplemental health, and other niche insurance products. We are a specialty personal lines insurance holding company. Through our subsidiaries, we provide a variety of insurance products, including personal and commercial automobile, homeowners, umbrella, recreational vehicle, supplemental health, lender-placed and other niche insurance products.
National General is a fast paced, dynamic, and entrepreneurial organization. Our team members live by and exemplify what we call the 4Es. At National General, we are Energized, Engaged, Empowered, and we Execute every day in order to provide an exceptional experience for our customers! We are passionate about our organization and the value that we add every day. A successful candidate with National General will embody the 4Es. Our team is poised to outperform the competition. We are National General Insurance and with us you can be extraordinary! Come join our team!
Companies and Partners
Direct General Auto & Life, Personal Express Insurance, Century-National Insurance, ABC Insurance Agencies, NatGen Preferred, NatGen Premier, Seattle Specialty, National General Lender Services, ARS, RAC Insurance Partners, Mountain Valley Indemnity, New Jersey Skylands, Adirondack Insurance Exchange, VelaPoint, Quotit, HealthCompare, AHCP, NHIC, Healthcare Solutions Team, North Star Marketing, Euro Accident.
In addition to a phenomenal career opportunity, National General Insurance offers an excellent benefits package including:
* Paid Training
* Medical, Dental, Vision benefits
* Wellness Programs
* Life and Short/Long Term Disability Insurance
* 401k w/ Company Match
* Company Paid Holidays & Generous Time-off policy
* Employee Discount Program
* Career Advancement and Development Opportunities
* On-site Healthcare Clinic (Winston-Salem and Cleveland offices)
* On-site Fitness Center (Cleveland and Dallas offices)
* Subsidized parking (Cleveland office)
National General Holdings Corp. is an Equal Opportunity (EO) employer Veterans/Disabled and other protected categories. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of any characteristic protected by law. Candidates must possess authorization to work in the United States, as it is not our practice to sponsor individuals for work visas.
In the event you need assistance or accommodation in completing your online application, please contact NGIC main office by phone at (336) 435-2000.
Apply Not ready to Apply*