Cook at Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH)
Posted in Other 6 days ago.
This job brought to you by America's Job Exchange
Type: Full Time
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Responsible for the preparation and assembly of hot food items following the established policies and procedures in accordance with patient, cafeteria and catering menus. Follows standardized recipes. Ensures that all food items meet standards for quality, quantity, and portion control as set by the department. Maintains safety and sanitation standards within the unit. Maintains positive customer interactions and adheres to the department dress code policy.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Greets, assists, and serves customers in a positive and expedient manner. Answer customer questions.
* Produces assigned menu items following standardized recipes. Ensures acceptable food temperatures, food quality and appearance.
* Demonstrates a working knowledge of food preparation techniques and terminology. Recognizes usage for raw food products and understands how they effect the end food product (i.e.dairy products, trimming meats, storage techniques, etc.)
* Checks and evaluates raw food products/ recipe ingredients utilizing approved, standardized equipment.
* Prepares, cooks, holds and stores food at acceptable temperatures and in approved containers or designated equipment.
* Follows local State and Federal guidelines as they relate to food safety.
* Assesses final food products through appropriate taste-testing practices and evaluation.
* Portions foods as indicated on recipes based on patient diet restrictions and modifications.
* Uses the following equipment: convection ovens, fryolators, steam jacketed kettles, steamers, range, tilt skillet, mixers, blenders, food chopper, grille, broiler, wok and scales. Operates and maintains equipment in a safe and sanitary manner. Informs a manager of any malfunctioning equipment.
* Informs Managers of food and non-food needs.
* Informs Managers of outdated, leftover or discrepancies with the inventories and helps plan for use of leftovers.
* Completes required inventories for patient food bank (cook-chill system). Rotates food supplies on a daily basis. Dates and identifies food appropriately.
* Prioritizes daily job assignments to meet deadlines.
* Tests and evaluates new and existing recipes. Offers patient, cafeteria and catering menu suggestions.
* Works with staff in the unit during changes brought about by staffing issues, food availability, or equipment availability.
* Delivers food to designated areas when requested.
* Adhere to department policy and procedures
* Follows established security procedures as it relates to opening and closing the Caf or kitchen and storage areas
* Follows the department dress code.
* Attends in-services and training as scheduled.
* Completes cleaning assignments providing for safe and sanitary equipment.
* Prepares unit for monthly pest control inspection.
Must follow established recipes and work in a manner that minimizes waste.
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
Must be able to read, write, speak and understand English. Must be able to communicate with the public and demonstrate good customer service skills. Ability to count and perform basic math skills. Ability to calculate weights and measurements. Demonstrated history of cooking skills required. Requires manual dexterity and repetitive motions. Serv Safe Certified
Work is performed in a typical institutional kitchen or public feeding cafeteria. Required to go in and out of refrigerated areas, lift 50# and push/pull 100#, stand 8 hrs.
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.