Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) Program Coordinator at University of Miami
Posted in Education 2 days ago.
This job brought to you by Careerbuilder
Location: Miami, FloridaJob Description:
Job Title: Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) Program Coordinator
Pay Grade: r5
Pay Band Min / Max: -
Position Number: P100004877
Department / Hospital: Undergrad Research & Community Outreach
The University of Miami is considered among the top tier institutions of higher education in the U.S. for its academic excellence, superior medical care, and cutting-edge research. At the U, we are committed to attracting a talented workforce to support our common purpose of transforming lives through teaching, research, and service. Through our values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity and Teamwork (DIRECCT) we strive to create an environment where everyone contributes in making UM a great place to work. We are one of the largest private employers in Miami-Dade County; home to more than 13,400 faculty and staff from all over the world.
THIS IS A TIME LIMITED GRANT FUNDED POSITION
The program coordinator for the University of Miami (UM) Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) program will assist with the implementation of research-based courses and coordination of research opportunities for underrepresented minority students in STEM. Specifically, we are looking for someone with an interest/background in STEM fields, education initiatives, and community outreach.
The program coordinator will be responsible for planning and coordinating both summer and academic year programs for high school and undergraduate students. She/he will assist the HHMI High School Summer Scholars program, which selects a group of public and private school students to partake in research opportunities each summer at UM. The coordinator will also assist in our HHMI Authentic Research Introductory Biology and Chemistry labs at UM and Miami Dade College campuses.
Some specific responsibilities are:
15 % Program administrative duties:
• Provide administrative support as needed to the leadership team consisting of the UM program director, co-director, science educator, and the dean of the school of science at Miami Dade College (MDC) on all activities related to UM's HHMI Science Education Grant.
• Organize meetings for the leadership team with UM and MDC faculty.
• Order supplies and track supply budget for MDC authentic research labs.
• Oversee the timely disbursement of participant stipends, reimbursements, etc.
• Place High School Scholars in summer research positions based on students' research interests.
80 % as required by grant project:
• Collect and tabulate evaluation data regarding participant performance and other relevant information for annual reports and grant applications; maintain relevant databases and archival files of evaluation instruments.
• Assist the program director with preparation of reports to grant agencies and grant proposals.
• Assist with recruitment of MDC faculty for authentic research labs, UM faculty research mentors, as well as UM undergraduates and MDC students for HHMI programs.
• Meet with graduate teaching fellows on a regular basis to ensure program goals are being met.
• Maintain database to track program participants.
• Assist in the development of programmatic materials for participants.
• Development and overall upkeep of program webpages.
• Assist with recruiting MDC students for HHMI MDC/UM Undergraduate and Teacher Partnership program and ensure that program requirements are met by MDC student participants.
5 % Other duties as assigned.
The program coordinator will take initiative in meeting established timelines and deadlines set by the program director without reminders. She/he must be well-organized and able to prioritize competing tasks. The program coordinator must have strong communication (verbal and written) and social skills and the ability to multi-task, work independently and as a member of a team. Experience working with personnel from diverse backgrounds is desirable. Must be available to work occasional evenings and weekends.
• Bachelor's Degree.
• A minimum one year of experience.
• Master's degree in a STEM field or science education.
• Knowledge of undergraduate STEM education programs, knowledge of K-12 STEM education a plus.
• Prior experience with program coordination/administration.
• Experience with STEM education grant programs a plus.
• Previous STEM teaching experience a plus.
Apply online at www.miami.edu/careers
Position # P100004877
The University of Miami is home to some of the brightest minds in the world. We are committed to educating and nurturing students, creating knowledge, and providing service to our community and beyond. The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental benefits, tuition remission, vacation, paid holidays and much more. The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Come join us!
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.