Posted in Other 30 days ago.
This job brought to you by America's Job Exchange
Type: Full Time
Location: Durham, North Carolina
RTI International is seeking applicants for the role of technical writer to serve as part of RTI s Learning, Energy, and Environment for Development (LEED) Division within the International Development Group (IDG). LEED is a growing Division with an expanding portfolio of work.
The technical writer will support three USAID-funded projects: (1) Power Africa Off-grid Project (PAOP), a four-year project to promote off-grid electrification in 11 African countries; (2) Effective Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene Services in Nigeria (E-WASH), a multi-year project to improve the availability of clean water and sanitation in Nigeria s poorest urban neighborhoods; and (3) Enhancing Capacity for Low Emission Development Strategies (EC-LEDS), which aims to develop international and regional laws, regulations, and rules to promote climate mitigation in Eastern Europe. PAOP will account for 60% of the successful candidate s time.
The Technical Writer will draft and review various project documents, including, among others, regular progress and annual reports, field updates, and technical abstracts and documents. S/he will review and provide clarity for external outputs. The Technical Writer will liaise closely with staffbased in Africa to receive, collate and revise written outputs of fast-paced project activities into client and public-facing summaries. This includes working with many staff whose first language is not English. The Technical Writer will occasionally be tapped to support drafting or reviewing proposal sections for donor-funded project opportunities.
This position can be based at either RTI s Washington, DC office or RTI headquarters in North Carolina.
The Technical Writer shall be primarily responsible for carrying out the following activities:
*Provide technical writing and review of project materials in a quick, efficient manner (program briefs, reporting requirements, conference documents, technical abstracts and materials, presentations, journal articles, technical reports and public information materials).
* Review shorter and immediate outputs for flow, structure and grammar
* Check that project outputs are responsive/compliant, sound, internally consistent, and appropriately address all reporting and procurement requirements.
* Review drafts of project materials, make recommendations to improve responsiveness/ compliance, organization, and clarity.
* Compile news articles on off-grid electrification and produce a monthly news roundup for internal project staff, Power Africa Coordinator s Office (PACO) and USAID Missions .
* Work closely with project team to tailor writing style based on project s needs and audiences.
* Support knowledge management by collecting and tracking project outputs, deliverables, and publications and support efforts to store information easily and efficiently for the project.
* Other duties as may be set out by the Chief of Party, Home Office Project Manager, or Senior Technical Advisor.
* May include some travel to South Africa.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
BA in liberal arts, social science, journalism, communications, or a similar field plus minimum 7 years of professional editing/writing experience or an advanced degree in the above with at least 3 years of professional editing/writing experience. Previous experience with and knowledge of USAID's Graphic Standard Manual and Partner Co-Branding Guide is a plus.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
* Excellent and proven writing and verbal skills required, working knowledge of French is a plus.
*Advanced skills in Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Acrobat.
* Excellent organization skills and ability to function in a fast-paced setting. Must be able to meet deadlines.
* Experience collating and re-writing technical material written by non-native English speakers into client-ready materials
* Ability to conduct research independently
* Flexibility, tact, and ability to work with diverse kinds of team members under tight deadlines.
* Ability to prioritize own work, and adapt to changes in priorities, workload, and workflow
* Self-motivated, proactive attitude that thrives under pressure as part of a team.
* Advanced skills in persuasive writing and the ability to present technical ideas in a concise way.
* Familiarity with topics related to private sector support and off-grid electrification is a plus
* Skill in abstracting or condensing general information for inclusion in documents
* Effective communication skills, required for providing diplomatic and constructive comments to colleagues/clients, and developing and maintaining strong client base
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Further information is available here.